Tuesday, April 04, 2006

RUSS FEINGOLD: SUPERHERO. YOU KNOW ANYONE ELSE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT WHO WOULD ENDORSE SAME-SEX MARRIAGE?

>


I sensed Feingold was the realest guy in the presidential sweepstakes since Howard Dean. I haven't met Feingold. I want to though. Almost every politician I run across seems like a studied phony. I don't just mean the really gross ones like Biden and Lieberman and Frist and Santorum. I mean, regardless of party or ideology, these Inside the Beltway freaks all have something in common-- something very ugly. I was on a conference call with Schumer and Emanuel last week. I doubt I would have felt more like a needed a shower if it had been Brownback and Blunt. I mean "creepy" and "loathsome" don't even begin to describe the lot of them. That's why when I meet a real human who's in politics it always surprises me and even inspires me.

I've liked Feingold from the first. I wasn't happy about every single little thing he's done-- like when he voted to confirm that horrible right-wing predator Roberts-- but Feingold's overall approach seems human and trustworthy. Today I was pretty shocked when I saw a small WASHINGTON POST piece that is probably tantamount to him declaring he's not expecting to get elected president in 2008. He confronted the hottest button right-wing divisive-tool-- their toxic homophobia-- and answered it the way any normal American should: he said bans on same sex marriage have no place in our nation's laws. Simple-- the way it should be.

Feingold didn't just start spouting off about it. Someone asked him at a town hall meeting in Wisconsin. "Obviously, it's a very difficult issue and evokes a lot of emotions. I think it's something ultimately that people throughout the country will accept, but it's not an easy issue." He accused right-wing extremists of using it as a wedge issue "to hurt Democrats who are against discrimination."
You want someone with a sense of fairness and the courage to speak out? Look no further.

Right-wingers, of course, have a very different approach, which has been demonstrated by the Bush Regime again and again.


WEDNESDAY MORNING UPDATE: ACT BLUE OPEN FOR BUSINESS FOR RUSS

After Russ' courageousness yesterday I decided to add his Progressive Patriots Fund to the DWT ACT BLUE Page. Let's show America's best Senator some love.

3 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I had the fortune to meet Russ briefly, when he first ran fro Congress. Unfortunately, he was meeting with my boss, a hard-core reactionary of the most Aryan stripes, so I'm sure he didn't get the support he was looking for.

But I've been proud of him every step of the way since, and his vote is always the easiest decision I have to make in that booth.

I've contacted his office a couple of times since, and received very nice, real replies, not form letters.

Go Russ. Remind the Democrats how it's done.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger steve scariano said...

Great post, Howie. It might be cool to see how many folks out there can make a contribution, say $10, to Feingold today, just as a way of thanking him for the courage to take the stance.

Oh yeah, I did say hi to Translator in Austin, but regretfully missed their set due to a scheduling conflict.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russ Feingold is a tool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home