Saturday, April 01, 2006

U.S. & SOMALIA STAND UP AGAINST THE REST OF THE WORLD-- BOLTEN WILL NEVER ALLOW THE TYRANNY OF CHILD PROTECTION TO SULLY THE BUSH VISION OF DEMOCRACY

>


Artist and photographer Lee Cantelon has offered a DWT guest editorial today.


Incredibly, the United Sates has decided not to ratify the United Nation's Convention on the Rights of the Child, and joins only Somalia (which has no recognized government) in opposing this effort to establish protection and advocacy for children's rights, especially needed in developing countries.

When I was in Rwanda during the 1994 crisis, I focused most of my photography on the plight of children, victims (always) of horrible misconduct and abuse. The Committee on the Rights of the Child did not exist then, but courageous work was accomplished by the UNHCR, Doctors Without Borders, Red Cross, and numerous NGO bodies. The presence, then, of such a committee, one dedicated to the prevention of such horror, protection during, and aftermath assistance that is wanted following such a crisis, would have been greatly helpful. Why do the children, and their needs, remain so disposable in our global discussion? I am reminded of the passage in the Gospels where Christ upbraids those around him for keeping the children from gathering around him. Our work must be to make access for children to advocacy, assistance, and safety.

Photographs from my work in Rwanda can be viewed here

TrueMajority.org also has a point of view on this worth taking a look at.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Timcanhear said...

My God why are we not supporting this? What conventional lack of wisdom is this? How is it possible?
What does this mean?

The idea of not engaging in the protection of children is ludicrous and it leads me to ask further, why is it that we don't pressure the Saudi's into protecting their own people as well?
Our support of the Saudi regime has to encourage American opposition in the middle east.
I remain dumbfounded that American politicians still do not focus on this. The Saudi regime is a direct remnant of pure nazi fascism. Spread from the ruins of WW2, the Saudi fascists are equally adept at murdering and torturing their own as was Hitler.
This past week I spoke with two public figures, General Wesley Clark and (senate would be) Paul Hackett about my concerns.
Both of them expressed the same sentiment which is that we can not tell others how to run their affairs. And, guess what, we need their oil. Neither offered any further thoughts on the matter. Immediately I wondered if my "left field" question registered. So I probed once again, to both. "Terrorist uprising is a direct reflection of fascist control! I wonder if I'm being too naive about this but we really need to leverage some kind of effort to get the fascists over there to share the wealth of their resources and to include the PEOPLE of the middle east in plans for a 'better' society!"
We need the oil is how they responded.
I suppose the next time I get the opportunity to speak to either, it will be in a public forum where everyone can hear what they have to say.
While I still think both Clark and Hackett would make for some good leadership, I left thinking we can do better. Will someone please help us?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home