Saturday, April 01, 2006

MILITARY VETERANS SHOULD RETURN TO THE POLITICAL PARTY THAT GIVES A DAMN ABOUT THEM

>


Last week I introduced DWT readers to a singer/songwriter (and six-year military veteran) named Tom Chelston with a song he wrote and performs called "BushWhacked." I hope you've had a chance to listen to it and think about his lyrics.

In the past few days I've been listening to another of Tom's songs, "Veteran". I've noticed that most of the Democratic challengers to the War Party incumbents have made a big deal about the rights of veterans. I've seen the ideas expressed on numerous campaign websites from every party of the country-- and from across the Democratic spectrum. Yesterday I did a call to action alert for Francine Busby over at Music For America and I talked about Busby's proposals for an equitable, honorable and dignified relationship between the men and women who have served in the military and our government. Tom's song and Francine's proposals seemed like a perfect match.

I sent the song to one of the Fighting Dems, a thoughtful, clear-eyed school teacher named Rick Penberthy in Florida's 5th congressional district, where he is trying to oust a vicious, far right maniac named Ginny Brown-Waite. The district has the most veterans of any in the U.S. and a significant aspect of Rick's campaign is very veteran-oriented, Rick having served in both the Army and in the Naval Reserves. The next day visitors to the front page of Rick's campaign website were already listening to "Veteran."

If you don't already have enough reasons to never even consider voting for the rubber-stamp Republicans who have turned our Congress into a national disgrace, please read the lyrics to Tom's chilling and powerful song:

Veteran

We sing songs about our freedom 
We always keep them in our prayers 
We wave our flags and bow our heads 
Support our Soldiers over there   
But all across this nation 
Probably right in your home town 
There’s a group of weary Soldiers 
With their world turned upside down   
We asked them for their lives and they agreed  
Now their asking for the benefits 
That they thought were guaranteed 
We sent them off to fight on foreign shores 
But now they’re casualties of a bureaucratic war   
With every flag draped procession 
With every tear and every prayer 
We remember those who gave their lives  
For every battle we declare   
But all across our nation 
Probably right in your hometown 
There’s a group of broken Heroes 
Because their country let them down   
We asked them for their lives and they agreed  
Now their asking for the benefits 
That they thought were guaranteed 
We sent them off to fight on foreign shores 
But now they’re casualties of a bureaucratic war   
We sent them off to fight on foreign shores 
Hey America 
Let’s give our Veterans something more 
Veteran


UPDATE

Kathie Costos put up a poignant piece yesterday on homelessness among veterans on an Orlando blog called Where Will You Be When War Veterans Need You?

6 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Kathie Costos said...

One good turn deserves another. Thanks for the post on my blog and I really like yours too. There are thosands of us around the country fighting for the veterans and our troops every single day. Together we can make it better for them. If we ever quit, it will only get worse for them. Thanks for all you do.
Kathie Costos

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In support of your call to bring the troops home to the Democratic Party, I'm posting the lyrics to my song, Just Got Back (Here's to the Survivors), which I recorded at Asleep at the Wheel's Austin studio. Hope this is okay with you. Thanks.

Just Got Back (from Iraq and Nam)

I cut my teeth on yo mama goose and doctor seuss
learned twelve martial arts before I ties my shoes
I was a search-destroy decoy in uncle's combat boots
just wind me up, point and turn me loose

on the seashores of the Tripolis
on top of Montezuma's refineries
I go anywhere to set you free
and if I'm too untamed don't put the blame on me

I just got back from new Iraq
fooled me once but now I've been around the block
hardly had time enough to load or lock
before I lost my friends
you don't want that kind of shock

from the hallowed sands of Iwo Jima
to the outer space shuttle base destructo beam
I might be part of a larger scheme
I've had my own personal Hiroshima

and I just got back from Vietnam
automatic weapon stuck to my hand
the shades were pulled and the doors are still jammed
with forgotten ghosts from that ten-year plan

(chorus)
here's to the survivors
here's to the survivors
and to Prague Springs and Frisco summers
peaceful things and different drummers
Prague Springs and San Franciscan Summers

(last verse)
just got back from Iraq and Nam
two real sad places to burn and bomb
too many sad faces have come and gone
when will we learn where we don't belong

and I just got back, just got back, just got back (fade)
_________________

Thanks again.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Lizzie Flynn said...

That's an awesome song. Do you mind if I reprint is on my blog? Also, Larry, can I reprint your poem also? It's absolutely heart stopping.

Thanks.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My song "Just Got Back" (with the lyrics posted in the comments here) has a link on ToppleBush.com in case you'd like to hear it.

It's in the Special Projects section (a bunch of songs) partway down the page. Just click on 'complete list'. The songs are alphabetized.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim said....
Retired army here Larry and the song brings chills. I belong to the vetrans' party and truly invite all my brother's and sister's to join me so that the words America and vetran truly do come first. Thanks

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger drtgreen said...

Amazon.Com and Dr. Green have inaugurated an ebook Series to Support American Veterans
The equivalent of dozens of hours and thousands of dollars of psychological consultation for only $.49

Pass it on to a Returning War Veteran on Memorial Day



The Proper Care Of the Returning American War Veteran


http://www.amazon.com/Proper-Care-Returning-American-Veteran/dp/B000Q66J7G/ref=sr_1_6
/104-3409163-1100711?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179338709&sr=1-6


Part I From Discharge, Separation or Disability

Part II War and Its Effect on Emotions

Part III Combat and The impact on Women and Families

Part IV The Impact of Military Service on the Political Priorities of the President

Part V A 101 Point Guide for Veteran Families and Returning Veterans



Due July 4, 2007, Watch for it!

The Virginia Tech Shooting Tragedy
Understanding The Most Horrific Personal Tragedy Committed by One Person in One Day, Outside of War, in the History of Modern Civilization
What Every College Family Should Know About That Tragedy



Coming in fall, 2007

The Proper Criticism of the World Illegal Immigration Crisis Parts I-V,

Guess whom the returning Iraq war veterans in every nation in the world will have to battle at the ballot box for control of their own country after the next illegal immigrant amnesty legislation bill passes when they return home?



About Amazon Shorts:




Amazon Shorts are available exclusively at Amazon.com; you will not find them anywhere else.




Amazon Shorts are delivered electronically; there are no printed editions.




Amazon Shorts are yours forever – after purchase, you can read them anytime at Amazon.com. (They'll be stored forever in Your Media Library in PDF, HTML, and text e-mail formats.)




You are free to print Amazon Shorts to read in hard copy form at your convenience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home