Friday, April 08, 2011

Sunday Classics preview: Do you know what this piano solo is?

>

The first half-minute or so of our mystery excerpt



by Ken

Actually, the post title is a little misleading. It suggests that if you do know what this piano solo is, I'm asking you to blab. Not really. If you do know, well done, and I think you'll agree that this is a pretty spiffy performance of it. (No, it's not brand-new. It's closer to 60 than to 50 years old.) I'm going to try to bribe you into silence with the promise that in tomorrow night's Sunday Classics preview we're going to hear the whole movement I've yanked it out of -- though we're not actually going to identify the piece until Sunday's post.

Now if you don't know what this music is, the fun lies in the speculating. From which you may guess that the answer is apt to be somewhat surprising.

I'll explain that I've been enjoying this performance on a CD I just acquired which I'd been coveting for some time -- that is to say, at a price I considered reasonable. It contains two major works that I doubt anyone would ever have expected to find on the same record. I'll have more to say about it tomorrow night.
#

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saint-Saens can't recall if it's 2nd or 3rd piano concerto opening (I'm a string player so sue me).

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

A string player but not much of a reader, eh, Anon? Well, my general practice is not to delete comments that are on topic.

Oh well, it probably wouldn't have been as much fun as I was imagining.

Ken

 

Post a Comment

<< Home