Saturday, April 09, 2011

Sunday Classics: Now we have TWO mystery piano concerto movements

>

The great Soviet pianist Emil Gilels (1916-1985)

by Ken

In last night's preview we heard just the opening of what I'll call Movement "A" of a piano concerto. That's right, it's from a piano concerto. You didn't hear the orchestra because I cut it off just at the moment of its first entrance. It was taken, you'll recall, from a CD I've been having fun with which as I pointed out contains two works -- in fact, two piano concertos -- so different that I don't believe they've ever appeared otherwise on the same record (LP or CD).

By way of a refresher for those who've heard last night's installment, and a catcher-upper for those who haven't, and because I hate keeping secrets, I'm going to play last night's clip again, this time letting the orchestra make its entrance, and I'm even going to tell you that the soloist is the great Russian pianist Emil Gilels. And then, for the sake of variety, we're going to hear this same excerpt played by another distinguished pianist.

THE OPENING OF MOVEMENT "A" -- PLAYED FIRST
BY GILELS, THEN BY SOME OTHER FAMOUS PIANIST


Emil Gilels, piano
Some Other Famous Pianist


Now, although I promised last night that tonight we would hear the whole of what we're now calling Movement "A" (which we will), when we pick up in the click-through, we're going to start with Movement "B."


TO HEAR MOVMENT "B" AND ALL OF "A," AND
TO LEARN WHO THE OTHER PIANIST IS, CLICK HERE

#

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Russell Miller said...

Dunno if you're trying not to give it away, but that's saint-saens concerto #2. One of my favorites.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Russell Miller said...

btw, my *favorite* is concerto #4. wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home