Wednesday, April 09, 2003

[4/9/2011] Preview: Now we have TWO mystery piano concerto movements (continued)

>


REMEMBER THE "HEART OF THE PIANO CONCERTO"
LP? MOVEMENT "B" WAS INCLUDED ON THAT


Now I can reveal that the Other Famous Pianist we just heard playing the opening of Movement "A" was none other than the great Arthur Rubinstein, and I dragged him in here for the sake of Movement "B," because it was a recording of his via which I first encountered this music, as one of the six concerto movements included in RCA's Heart of the Piano Concerto anthology, one of the very first classical LPs in our house, as I wrote originally in connection with the rondo finale of the Beethoven Third Concerto, which I used to listen to truly obsessively. It's because we're now poised to hear Rubinstein and Gilels play irresistibly breezy, elegant, joyful Movement "B" that I dragged in Rubinstein's performance of Movement "A" to play alongside Gilels's.

So here is the very Rubinstein performance of the insatiably delicious Movement "B" which I started listening to all those years ago, followed by the Gilels performance from the same CD as his Movement "A." (You know, the CD that started this whole thing.) I can't tell you yet who the orchestras and conductors are; for now, that would be telling too much. With all the information I've given you, though, I feel as if I've practically told you everything.

MOVEMENT "B"

Arthur Rubinstein, piano
Emil Gilels, piano


Finally (for tonight), let's hear -- finally! -- the whole of Movement "A," played first by Gilels and then by Rubinstein.

MOVEMENT "A"

Emil Gilels, piano
Arthur Rubinstein, piano



IN TOMORROW'S SUNDAY CLASSICS POST

The solution to all of our mysteries -- and we'll hear all of the so-far-missing music.


RETURN TO THE BEGINNING OF THE POST
#

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home