Wednesday, February 06, 2008

JOHN LAESCH-- THE FAT LADY AIN'T SUNG YET

>


Right now 365 323 votes separate John Laesch and Bill Foster in the congressional primary in IL-14, a race that pitted a grassroots progressive against a multimillionaire Insider picked for the district by Rahm Emanuel, Steny Hoyer and Inside the Beltway special interests. How could this have happened?

A record number of Illinois Democrats voted yesterday, drawn by the excitement of casting a vote for their popular senator, Barack Obama, or drawn by the excitement of casting a vote for a woman who may well be the first female president, or just drawn by the excitement of casting a vote against the Bush Regime. Some of these voters were barely aware there even was a local congressional contest or only knew about it because one of the candidates, the Blue Dog, had spent $1.4 million of his own-- plus another $600,000 he raised-- on TV ads and fancy mailers. Against that barrage, the grassroots candidate, our friend John Laesch, has $130,000 and a lot of volunteers. In many parts of the district John won, but not in voter rich Kane County, where the Blue Dog lives.

The local Beacon News is still reporting the race for the Democratic nomination in IL-14 is too close to call. Last time I looked, absentee ballots hadn't been counted yet. Many people are asking that there be a re-count. There are reports of widespread irregularities in Aurora with the mayor decrying mass incompetence and calling for "broad and swift changes," possibly even abolishing the Election Commission.

We've asked John to come back to FDL this afternoon (3 PM Central Time, 1 PM in L.A., 4 PM Inside the Beltway) and give us an idea of where we go from here.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It shouldn't have even been THAT close!

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Rahm Emanuel.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

Then you've come to the right blog.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger SharonRB said...

Wow! The last thing I read said Foster had won. I would be so happy if John pulls this off. That and the fact that Dan Seals won would make me ecstatic. Too bad Mark Pera and Randy Scheurer didn't come close, from what I read. Maybe this portends better than I thought for Nancy Skinner in our primary in MI-09 in August. We need to beat as many of these Emanuel Dems as we can.

And if I haven't said it before, I second anonymous' emotion.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Howie, got to the FDL party late, there's a final comment up by somebody (who says you and Jane are going to flame him) who says we should get behind Foster to beat Oberweis.

I went to flame him myself but forgot I recently deleted my "Bill" account (they made me buy an extra vowel) cause I was getting to much unrequested political spam. Oh Jane...

I think we CANNOT support blue dog Foster and it is possible to win with John Laesch in an IL14 who is sick of empty suits who get rich on their congressional dime.

Guide us o Howie won kanobie...

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

The day you see me supporting someone like Foster or any other Blue Dog, is the same day you see me voting for a Republican or a Nazi. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN... under any circumstances.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Keeping the faith. I live in voter rich Kane county and received at least a dozen - four color spreads from Bill Foster over the past two weeks.

I've been saying all along it's name recognition in towns such as Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles, Elgin and Aurora.

John's name was visible on lawn signs but not in mail boxes.

I met Bill Foster at an function before I knew who he was. I was extremely underwhelmed. It just makes me sick that money has this much influence.

Tony

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Righton tony t, YES,
AND
POWER is the ability to ACT.

Howie and other's have dramatically impacted those who have "had enough" b4.

I also know this district from previous lives and KNOW John Laesch can win it. Maybe it is mailboxes, don't know, i wanna know.

HOW do the DWT GumShoes organize legally and with purpose to ELECT John Laesch by defeating Foster and Oberweis in IL14? If that means defeating Rahm with WHATEVER leverage, so be it.

Money is nice, AND better yet, WHAT other resources do you have to elect John Laesch in IL14?
If interested in playing, send Howie your contributions. I am doing the same....

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kane County Clerk Jack Cunningham said there were 114 absentee ballots to be counted in Kane County. Even if they were all for Laesch, he would not have enough votes to win the county.

Laesch is an ego maniac and refuses to let go. A true loser who cannot accept defeat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home