Friday, December 12, 2008

Howie, Mali-bound (no, not Maui, Mali, as in Timbuktu), finds DWT banned in France!

>

by Ken

You're bound to notice eventually that Howie has slipped out of his blogging chair. Those of you who've been with us before and have glanced at the calendar may realize that if it's December, that means he's off on his annual Big Trip. Two years ago Tierra del Fuego, last year South Asia (India, Thailand), this year Mali. No, not Maui, where it's possible for many a sensible person to wish to go (especially in December, if the person happens to reside in a northerly clime), but Mali, as in Timbuktu.

I just heard from him from the airport in Paris, where he arrived early only to find his connecting flight to Dakar, Senegal, delayed by what is officially described as three hours. At least until he heard about the delay, he was a relatively happy camper, heartened to find an airport lounge well-equipped not just with computers but with Macs. He was plowing earnestly through 500 accumulated e-mails (and sending back some dispatches I'll be passing on in due time), when came this:
I was so happy to find free computers -- Macs no less -- in the airport lounge. But DWT is banned -- perhaps in solidarity with Myanmar.

(Yes, if you weren't with us, last year while he was posting from Myanmar, he suddenly found DWT banned.)
#

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger 333 said...

First, I would like to say that I have a MAC and I believe this is the way the world should work. SIMPLY.

Secondly, I would like to point out that, although there are lots of people that think they understand the world (to a certain extent , me) they might be remiss to find that they aren't as such, and further that if they think they are tough and can make it through anything, they might try going with Howie on a trip.

Why is it that gay men, such as Special Forces and Marines, usually turn out to be the least afraid and the most determined?

Well, being a homo myself, I m not sure I would have any reason to go to Mali, I don't even know why Howie is going. I might just say this... I'll keep watching and find out.
I just hope he keeps safe... As far as I know he doesn't have a Gay Marine with him.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Thanks, C3, I'm sure Howie will love this commment when he sees it.

No Gay Marine on hand that I'm aware of, though who wouldn't like to have one handy? His friend and frequent traveling companion Roland (not gay) will be joining him for part of the Mali trip.

Ken

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Semper Fi.

http://www.marines.mil

Safe Travels, Happy Trails.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home