Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Not All Gay People Have Fabulous Taste... Take Lindsey For Example

>


When I was 15 I hitchhiked from Brooklyn to L.A. I had quite a bit of trouble at the YMCA in Youngstown and couldn't get out of Ohio until I met this sailor named Howard who was driving a brand new Cadillac from Philly to L.A. for yet a third Howard. The thing that stands out the most of our drive across the country was how we were tooling down Route 66 on the way to Amarillo when he told me that he had eaten in the best Chinese restaurants in Beijing-- we called it Peking back then-- and Shanghai and Canton but that the best Chinese food in the word was in Amarillo. I'm from a Jewish family in Brooklyn and Chinese was something we ate at least once a week, so I knew-- and I loved my Chinese food. This was in a strip mall off the highway. I knew I was in a culinary Twilight Zone when I noticed the were serving plastic baskets of rye bread on every table. It was basically canned Chun King.

Last night Lindsey Graham squired Team McCain-- Lieberman, Cindy (sans the shunned half sister), the South Carolina "bachelor" and the Old Man around Orlando where McCain was taking refuge from a storm in Miami before heading off to the disgraceful Ralph Reed fundraiser in Atlanta. Like Howard, Lindsey knew a place-- his favorite restaurant in Orlando. Of course real men out to impress in that town go to Texas de Brazil, a place with bloody meat served to you on skewers. As for Italian restaurants... well Tutto Italia at Epcot in Disneyworld's the place in Orlando... not one of Orlando's 10 Garlic Gardens. I guess McCain was hoping people would forget about his private jet, 13 homes and $520 Ferragamo loafers and think of him as just regular folks; he ordered the spaghetti with meatballs and sausage. Cindy will sacrifice a lot to be first lady-- although he didn't flash her tits when McCain told her to at the biker fest two weeks ago-- and she went as high-brow as you can at an Olive Garden: portabella ravioli. Lieberman at a tilapia.
[T]he bill came out to approximately $450.00.

They gave a $90 tip -- twenty percent.

As for what Graham, who spearheaded the trip, had to eat, the waiter said he could not remember.

"When I saw them come in, I was like wow -- John McCain is at Olive Garden," he said.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howie,

Glad to see you back up. Teach and I threw in our two cents over the week end to Ken trying to help you. Out of curiosity what was the problem?

What did you think about the face off at Rick Warrens church?

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

Ken passed along your suggestions. Basically though, my network was confused because some of the computers were hardwired into the cable and some were on Airport. Eventually the whole thing just threw up its hands and quit working. Now everyone is on Airport and functioning better than ever. Thanks for asking. As for Rick Warrens' infomercial... like I said to Ken, Obama tried to engage but brainwashed zombie-folks don't want thoughtful nuanced answers; they want regurgitation of what they already "know." When McCain said he would pander, he wasn't kidding. And they loved it.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Nathan Lee said...

I remember that restaurant from growing up in the Texas panhandle as a kid. They really did bust out the canned Chung King. At age 7 I thought it was great! I began to get suspicious when Mom completely recreated it at home a few weeks later. Then I too was initiated in the secrets of the Chun King divider pak fraternity. Ah the culinary delights of the Texas panhandle in the 1970's! It's hard to imagine eating that swill if you knew better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home