Wednesday, June 07, 2006

SUZANNE BUIRGY-- BRIDGING AN IMPOSSIBLE GAP

>


I get crazy when candidates waffle on basic Democratic values, like standing up for working people and the middle class against powerful Corporate interests or protecting beleaguered minorities. If I run across a candidate, like Bob Casey in PA for example, who is anti-choice, I just can't get behind them. So I have found it odd that the best song I ever found about women's right to choice is a song that does not paint the issue in a black and white one-dimensional way. The song, "Lullaby" is by a friend of mine, Suzanne Buirgy. I absolutely love it.

I used to always bring it to my office at Warner Bros and play it-- a lot. I have yet to meet a woman who didn't cry when she listened. I found that it is generally more difficult for men to get. Suzanne wrote the song in 2001 for her second album, THE VIEW FROM HERE. "It comes from a personal place, a personal experience," she told me today. "The song is one dimension of what that experience feel like. It's about my choice."

I've never heard anyone-- and especially not a politician-- bridge the gap so beautifully with one of the most divisive issues tearing our country apart politically. A San Fernando Valley woman, Suzanne is far from a "Valley gal." She was orphaned at 15 and the lead singer of the all girl group The Riveters soon after. Today she is working on her third album writing a musical, holding down a day job at Dreamworks Animation-- and still managing to do some touring. She has a couple Texas gigs coming up June 30 and July 1 (Dallas and Austin).

Every Wednesday I guest host John Amatos' "Late Nite Music Club" at CROOKS AND LIARS. Tonight I'm featuring "Lullaby." It's a pretty testoteroned up crowd over there, so please come over and join the fun. And if you miss the action, you can hear Suzanne's music here; be sure to listen to "Except for Me," too, another fave of mine.

You would have been ten years old
You would have been going to school
You would have been living your life with me with me
You'd probably be tall for your age
With a head full of curls and eyes like the deep blue sea
It's not an easy thing
It's taken all this time to know that what I did was right
In my mind I hold your hand
In my heart I know you understand
As I sing you this lullaby tonight
You would have been born in June
And the man in the moon would have smiled down on your bed
I would have loved you so hard
I would have kept you so safe
At least that's the story in my head
It's amazing what time can do 'cause I'm lying to me and you
The truth's nowhere in sight
The truth is that I was young
Not ready to mother someone or to sing you this lullaby tonight
I was as wild as a week
Drunk on love
High on speed
We all must lie in the beds we make
But I couldn't let you suffer for my mistakes
You would have been ten years old
You would have been going to school
You would have been living your life with me with me
You'd probably be tall for your age
With a head full of curls and eyes like the deep blue sea
There are those who would call me names
There are those who would say I sinned
But if I had it all to do over I'd do the same thing again
This is just between me and you
And the only thing I want to do
Is sing you this lullaby tonight

1 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check on Ginny Welsch, who's taking on Jim Cooper this fall in Tennessee's 5th district. She can beat him.

www.welschforcongress.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home