Thursday, October 06, 2005

FASCISM IN THE AIR

>

I fly Southwest Airlines when I basically have no choice. I like the prices and the convenience of flying into and out of small airports. But it's kind of like flying on a bus and comfort isn't a priority for the company. But I've always been happy to save the money on a short jaunt to San Francisco, which is only an hour so what the heck. But I have a meeting of a Board I'm on in San Fran in a few weeks and I'll try to avoid Southwest if I can. That's because my pal Jim sent me a report from KRNV in Reno this morning entitled "Woman Kicked off Southwest Airlines Flight For Wearing Anti-Bush Shirt."

An anti-fascist patriot from Portland named Lorrie Heasley was flying home from L.A. but when the plane stopped in Reno she was kicked off the plane because she was wearing a patriotic t-shirt. The corporation claims her freedom of speech doesn't matter because the offending t-shirt was causing "safety concerns."

Lorrie seemd philosophic, saying, "There are bigger problems in the country, I can't believe people can be so petty." At the Reno stopover she was told to cover the shirt, so she did. But she took a nap during the layover and the offending shirt became visable to the vigilant politico-fashion police at which point she was given an ultimatum: change shirts or get off the flight. "I didn't feel that I should have to change my shirt, because we live in the United States, and it's freedom of speech and it was based on the movie 'The Fockers,' and I didn't think it should have offended anyone."

But it did. The shirt had pictures of members of the Bush Administration, and a phrase "Meet the Fuckers." Sounds like a perfectly reasonable shirt to me! And while Southwest may have kept the peace on it's afternoon hop to Portland, Lorrie, not afraid to use her freedom of speech, will now be using her freedom of choice. "I most likely wont be flying Southwest Airlines again after this." Me neither.

5 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Very interesting. My exposure to Southwest is entirely through the A&E show AIRLINE, where you often see wonderfully intriguing human dramas of preposterous--and very occasionally touching or even inspiring--human behavior. And you do get a very mixed feeling about Souhwest itself: a lot of people slogging away at a not-very-appealing job, some people going above-and-beyond to really serve customers, and of course some power-trippers like the bitch-from hell Chicago supervisor Colleen, who always seems to be enforcing her authority in a smarmily self-righteous way and yet hardly ever seems to SOLVE anyone's problem. (David Spade could learn something from her about just saying no.)

In this particular case, Southwest seems to me to have acted--judging purely in terms of its own interest--either foolishly or arrogantly, since they could have banned the T-shirt with its "Meet the Fuckers" inscription on the ground of obscenity. I don't know how legal it is, but in my experience, people who deal in public situations consider the use of obscene language an absolute and unanswerable taboo.

K

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Here's a snip I found about the legalities. (makes sense to me)
-----
Allen Lichtenstein, lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union in Nevada, said Heasley's T-shirt is "protected" political speech under the Constitution. The real issue, he said, is that the airline allowed her to wear the shirt onboard and then objected only when people complained.

"That they changed rules in the middle of a flight simply because someone didn't like it and it might be problematic," he said.

FAA spokesman Donn Walker said no federal rules exist on the subject.
-----
I'm seeing plenty of lame excuses Heasley shouldn't have been wearing the T-shirt...such as "offensive" "public place" "meeting her parents" "right place right time" blah blah blah

Bottom line: It's nobody's business but hers. Her shirt. Her free speech. Her right. Her country (or what's left of it since the fuckers came to power).

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

AND-- would they have gotten upset if the shirt pictured a disappointing sports team-- for example-- with the same logo? I think not.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Timcanhear said...

Count me in on the Southwest Airlines boycott as well.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Air travel is tiring enough without being used and abused by the airlines. If you suffered an indignity at the hands of an airline don't get mad or feel helpless, send a clear message this behavior will not be tolerated. Take your beef to Small Claims Court. With minimal cost, whether successful or not, you will come out a winner. Typically an airline will hire attorneys to prepare the case with costs exceeding $1,000 per claim in legal fees. While litigation should never be your first option, if you believe you have a legitimate claim, it is a viable avenue when all other options fail. Even if you lose the battle you can still win the war by making your point to the airline. Visit SUE THE AIRLINES at www.suetheairlines.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home