Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Disturbed Liar-- A Clinical Sociopath... And He'd Rather Destroy Us All Than Leave Us "Unprotected" By His Wall

>




Wikipedia has a simple explanation for projection-- one of the most obvious and clearest cornerstones of Trump's psychological makeup: "a defence mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting." Yesterday, Trump had been up and tweeting his nonsense about his vanity wall and his government shutdown for a couple of hours when he suddenly let this seemingly random one loose:



I wondered what brought that one on. And then I ran into a twitter thread by a long-time Trump foil from his days at the NY Times, Kurt Eichenwald. The thread began just before noon on Sunday and ended-- with the word "end"-- at 12:25... so half an hour's worth. Eichenwald, who's 57, began working for the Times, primarily covering Wall Street-related topics, in 1986. He's also a best-selling author of 4 books, primarily about financial and corporate fraud, such as Conspiracy of Fools about the Enron scandal investigation.

I'm just guessing, but I have a feeling that Eichenwald's Sunday noon-time thread is what triggered Trump's pre-dawn projectionist-tweet.
1. I have known Donald Trump since 1987. Like everyone else who knows him well, before he became a politician, I know he is liar, a narcissist, and eventually I knew he was mentally ill. At that time, he professed to be a Democrat. This had nothing to do with politics...

2...so, how long did it take to conclude all this about Trump? Three phone calls for everything but the mental illness. That took three years. But let's talk about those four experiences. About October 7, 1987, I began working on a tryout as a reporter at the New York Times...

3...in the business section. My first story was about Trump filing with the SEC to buy more of than 5% of the stock in Alexander's Dept Store. I am wrong on the date-- this call was October 1, 1987. I called Trump Corp to ask a question of spokesman. Trump himself picked up...

4....I identified myself and the first words out of his mouth were, "Oh, Kurt, I love your stuff." That surprised me, since I had never written anything for him to love. But I figured this was a business guy sucking up to a Times reporter. I asked him some questions, and he...

5...asked me to go on background. He began to wax on about the prospects of Alexanders, how mismanaged it was, how he could save it. He talked about how strong the stock market was, how he believed that Alexnaders was missing out on this continued strength and that he wanted...

6...to load up on Alexanders shares partly because of that. He then told me to identify him as an analyst to explain something about his intent. I made the huge error of doing so. Problem of first day at work. I was later told, no one at the NYT allowed Trump to state...

7...something in the paper anonymously because when he asked, it was his sign he was about to lie.

A week later, my phone rings. It's Trump. "Kurt, did you see that article about me in the metro section today?" I hadn't but I had the paper next to me, and began looking for it...

8...it was on the front. It was a glowing article about Trump by a reporter named Fox Butterfield. Before we were able to discuss anything else, for his second sentence, Trump said, "Fox Butterfield is the greatest reporter in America." He then went on and on about how this...

9...story really captured who he is, and bragged about himself in a way that seemed bizarre. I couldn't understand why he had called me. I was just some reporter on a try out. And it was clear, he was behaving like a kindergartner showing daddy his crayon picture. He wanted...

10...me to reiterate how great he was, he kept asking, "Don't you think that really captures who I am? I do. He really knows me." I was not sure what to say, but I figured I would take this opportunity to do some real reporting. After five minutes of his spiel about how great...

11...he is, I said, "I was wondering about the Alexander's buy..." and he said, "Ok, well, gotta go.." and hung up. It would prove to be the strangest call of my career.

A week later, the stock market crashed, losing more than 20% of its value in a single day. Work went into...

12...overload. One day about a week in, an article appeared in the New York Post. Trump proclaimed that, he was so great, he had known the crash was coming and had already sold all of his stock. I found out he had called the Wall Street Journal and another reporter at the NYT...

13...to say this. None of them would print it because...even if it was true...who cares? But no one believed it was true.

I KNEW it was false. He had been buying up Alexander's stock. There was no new SEC filing (and there never would be) showing he had been selling his shares...


What Would Freud say? by Nancy Ohanian


14...I couldn't understand it. Why would this man be calling around to brag how smart he was by claiming he did something that was provably false? I decided, this was an interesting story. I went to the deputy editor of the business section and spelled out what I knew...

15...and said it would be an interesting story that Trump was purposely calling people to pretend brilliance in a lie. The editor did not even look up from his computer and said the words I remember to this day: "Dog bits man. Donald Trump lies." In other words, everyone in...




17...so why am I saying all of this? Because lots of people-- particularly Cult45-- think these portrayals of Trump as a disturbed liar are new. No, this is stuff that people who have covered him have known for decades. Look at the people who go on TV to discuss him. Many have...

18...worked with him. Many have covered him, know him as "Donald." We knew he was a liar and unbalanced when he was a Democrat, when he was a Reform Party, when he was a Republican. Our position never changed. We did not engage in situational ethics...

19...an end point. A person who did business with Trump over the years told me in 2016, "If you asked him, Donald would tell you I'm his best friend." This struck me as odd, so I said, "And what would you say HE is?" A pause, then the man replied: "A clinical sociopath."

end
Or was it Maggie Haberman's appearance on CNN on Friday that triggered Trump. (Friday... Monday? Does Trump have that long an attention span?) Haberman, a top Trump-watcher for the NY Times, told New Day Friday host John Berman that "the number of conservatives who I have talked to in the last day, who worked on the campaign, who supported the president, who now say, 'you know, I regret doing that; this was a mistake, this administration is off the rails, all of these investigations that are coming to a head are gonna be a huge problem.' They are disgusted... with what they have seen of the details that have come out of Michael Cohen's plea deal... That's going to intensify... and it takes 20 Republican senators to vote in favor of impeachment. This could be a critical moment." That kind of talk-- let alone on television-- drives the media-obsessed Trump up the wall!




Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

talk to anyone who knows trump and is not benefitting from his being despot and this is what they'll say... for at least 3 decades now. clinical sociopath is kinda mild, actually.

He would burn the world to the ground to make himself look big in his own mirror.

But it does NOT take 20 senators to impeach. It takes one and only one democrap. nancy Pelosi. and that one single democrap will never impeach until she has contractual commitment from 300 house members and 75 senators... and all of her donors to keep the bribes coming in... and even then it's a coin flip.

I wonder why it took that reporter this long to write his twit thesis.

That's a big problem you know. people who could have headed off this thing wait until it's way too late to speak up.

And we all thought Niemoller was a fool?

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger edmondo said...

Oh good, another Trump Derangement Syndrome story. That makes 30 or so this week. I don't give a fuck how bad Trump is, I already know that. Show me that the Democrats will run someone who is better than Trump against him in 2020. If they run Joe Biden or Kamala or Cory they can stick their ballot up their collective ass. The dogs ain't eating that dog food just like they wouldn't eat it in 2016,

The one sure thing is that DWT will be telling us we have to elect a Democrat neoliberal because the Republican neoliberals are bad, bad, bad even when the two parties have the same policies.

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No, this is stuff that people who have covered him have known for decades."

Somehow, NONE of this came out during the 2016 campaign. Why? The entire corporate media was so busy giving us All Trump All The Time.

There is an awful lot of backfilling going on right now. Maybe the growing buzz about Trump's Russian conspiracies have convinced many Trumpsters that they have tied themselves to a traitor and they want to flee before they go down with him?

This nation is in a horrible place, and we as a nation are in great danger of our democratic republic coming to an end. It's isn't at all clear where the military stands, and they could still be loyal to Trump and ready to stage a coup to form a military dictatorship. Then all those NRA idiots will see just how useless their Glocks and Rugers are against Hellfires nd Abrams tanks.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting, 10:45.

So... being tied to a traitor is somehow worse than being tied to an insane Caligula? Certainly their voters don't give a shit either way. And nobody, not the next democrap for sure, will ever enforce any treason *OR* fraud law.

I wonder why you might feel that way.

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Montrose hotels said...

Your article help us to choose hotel. Thanks for share. And note please, Montrose co is one the top rated location for travelers. Lot of natural spot help you to get relax.
Get travel and enjoy romantic summer night in montrose co. You can stay in cheap hotel Staywisemontose.

 
At 5:18 AM, Anonymous all bangla newspaper said...

The DailySurma.com news has been published from our own News Reporter as well as from the sources of various news sites, blog websites, Bangla and English websites. Outside of our own report, there is no door for the Daily Surma for other news. There are news sources for each news. If there is any doubt about any kind of news please contact us. We'll remove the news. Also, by email, email us or contact us from the contact page to reveal the events that happened next to you.

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

edmondo, you should be asking the question "show me some way that we can get actual change" rather than just "show me a democrap better than trump".

Better than trump is pretty easy, were it not for the corrupt DNC.

But "better" is another thing entirely.

give obamanation a third term. still not "better".

"better" would mean a pretty severe case of whiplash as the current headlong Nazi momentum must be reversed. If your democrap does not cause whiplash, your democrap is pointless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home