Wednesday, April 09, 2014

MI-08… Another Lost Opportunity For The Democrats Courtesy Of The Lamest DCCC Chair In History

>




I remember where I was when I found out the right-wingers in Dallas had had President Kennedy murdered-- walking up a stairwell at James Madison High School in Brooklyn. I also remember where I was when I heard that Mike Rogers would be announcing his retirement from Congress a few weeks ago-- at my station, texting with someone who was on the phone with a big shot in Michigan Democratic politics. I didn't care how big a shot he was, I said it is impossible. Rogers would never retire. Then I remembered that this was the guy who told me that Henry Waxman would retire a couple of days before he shocked the world. So I asked him who would run for Rogers' seat if he indeed did retire-- which, as you know, did announced he would do.

He told me that there was one Democrat who could probably win the red-leaning swing district, Lansing's progressive mayor, Virg Bernero who, he told me, was chomping at the bit to run. That prompted me to write this post on March 28. But that same texting buddy called me the next day and said, "Forget it. Bernero isn't going to run." But why, I wanted to know. He told me that, at the behest of the DCCC and the always troublesome EMILY's List, Michigan Democratic Party chairman, Lon Johnson, had pressured Bernero to stay out of the race-- not just mildly pressured, but really pressured. EMILY's List was whining to the DCCC that they wanted the nomination for Ingraham County clerk Barb Bynum and Israel, always filled with loathing for an outspoken progressive leader like Bernero, happily acquiesced. So Barb was offered the Democratic nomination on a silver platter-- and off she went to DC for her Beltway audition.
In the 8th Congressional District, former Michigan GOP Chairman Saul Anuzis decided not to run for the unexpected open seat created by the retirement announcement of U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Howell. For the Democrats, Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero also ended his short-lived consideration for office.

“So much is broken about Washington that it is tempting for me to contemplate a future trying to fix it,” Bernero posted on his Facebook page. “But my heart and my creative energies are committed to Lansing and its continued growth.”

…Ingham County Clerk Barb Byrum, D-Onondaga, returned this week from Washington, D.C., after a jam-packed schedule of meetings with Democratic groups and congressional leaders about a potential bid. She is expected to make her decision soon; Democratic leaders consider her their best hope to flip the seat compared with previously announced candidates Susan Grettenberger, a Central Michigan University associate professor, and former state demographer Ken Darga.
Yesterday it became clear that the audition hadn't gone that well and that Byrum won't be the candidate after all. "After carefully considering a run for Congress, I have determined that I can best serve the residents of Michigan by continuing my role as Ingham County Clerk. While partisan gridlock in Congress prevents anything meaningful from being accomplished, my work here in Michigan has a real effect on people’s lives and that’s what drives my commitment to public service. I appreciate the support from those encouraging me to run and look forward to working with them in the weeks and months ahead."

And because Johnson and Israel treated Bernero so shabbily, he's still saying he won't run. His dad isn't in the best of health and a race like this wouldn't be a walk in the park and would be impossible without a united front from the party, not something Johnson and Israel are offering. They deserve Christine Wallace as a candidate-- although Democrats in the district sure don't! So, another winnable seat down the tubes as Israel racks up the record that will be hard to ever beat as the worst DCCC chairman in history. My prediction: Israel's 2014 disaster will see him replaced as DCCC chair and Virg-- as well as other top tier candidates who are refusing to run while Israel is around-- will run, and win, in 2016.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous wjbill said...

Nancy Pelosi owns this scandal, she should have shown more leadership in replacing Israel.
Also, why is the Sierra Club endorsing Keystone advocate Collins vs. a progressive candidate? Maybe Sierra has reached too big to fail status?

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous ap215 said...

Without question the most horrendous decision made by Nancy Pelosi can't wait for Steve's DCCC reign come to an end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home