Thursday, January 19, 2012

Your 2012 presidential ballot: Sometimes a screen grab is worth a thousand words

>

From this morning's NYT "Today's Headlines" newsletter. Since it's a screen grab, the links don't work, but if you want to read these stories (really?), they should be easy to find on nytimes.com. Did you think I was going to waste precious NYT clicks on "news" like this?

by Ken

Take just a moment to absorb the hardly-accidental juxtaposition above. These are, after all, the names we're all but certainly going to be seeing on the presidential ballot in November.

(1) On the one hand, is it really only "swing voters" who "disapprove of how President Obama has dealt with the economy and are not clear on his aims for a second term"? How about a quick show of hands. All those who approve of how President Obama has dealt with the economy, raise your hands. Okay, and all those who are clear on his aims for a second term, raise your hands. Um, no, you don't have to raise your hand if you want to leave the room -- oops, I think that takes care of our only raised hands.

(2) On the other hand, well . . . here's Willard. There's plenty to be scared about in the thought of a Willard Inc. presidency, starting with the very idea of an incorporated president, which suggests that while most of us are debating whether corporations should have the rights of individuals, the post-constitutional Willard is more concerned whether individuals should have the rights of corporations. (It's not always easy, or even possible, to figure out what he thinks, but I don't think he thinks so. Except of course for the 1%, whose rights come from God -- or maybe Nino Scalia and "Smirkin' John" Roberts. I always get them confused.) Still, in Willard's case, the size, nature, and origin of his fortune are all deeply important things to be worried about.

(3) But then there's the question that may or may not be addressed in these two stories. (As I suggested in the caption, I have no intention of wasting precious NYT clicks on this kind of "news.") Let's address it in the form of two last shows of hands.

* First, how many people think Willard inc. -- or any of the humanoids clawing at the GOP presidential nomination -- has a better idea about how to deal with the economy?

* Now, how many people, based on what you can glean about Willard's -- or, again, any of his GOP rivals' -- "aims" for his first term as president, feel in any way better about . . . well, anything?
#

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger Stephen Kriz said...

I think one of the media stiffs who ask the questions at the so-called debates should ask Willard, "Given that you are one of the richest men to ever run for president and probably one of the 10,000 wealthiest people in this country, why are you proposing to give yourself a tax cut if you are elected???"

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous me said...

I guess the Gray Whore needed something to fill up the empty space.

But there are indeed hurdles. I am an independent voter, and neither Obama nor Romney has earned my vote.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me should vote for
Stephen Colbert.

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous me said...

Colbert couldn't be worse than those other two jokers, but I will vote for someone I want to be president. I might even write in someone who isn't running.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Just to be clear, or clearer, I wasn't suggesting that either of these NYT stories isn't true, just that it's, and it's certainly clear why the paper feels obliged to say something every day about the all-but-certain November presidential contenders. I just meant to suggest that the contents may not be exactly stop-the-presses-worthy scoops.

Of course, in the end all signs point to this dismally uninspiring choice come November, the very kind of choice we've known for, well, years now we were going to face.

The one way I can think of to shake out of the resulting torpor is to remember how many important races will be decided below the presidential level which can have an important bearing on what happens in either a second Obama or a first Willard Inc. administration.

Cheers,
Ken

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous me said...

Yeah, I heard the same kind of crap on the radio today. "Tomorrow is the South Carolina Republican primary, but some people have not made up their minds" was the lead story. Not much happening today I guess.

In case any goppers are interested, *I* have made up my mind about the candidates: I hate all their guts, and I would never vote for any of them under any circumstances.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Once again you've hit the nail on the head, me!

Cheers,
Ken

 

Post a Comment

<< Home