Friday, December 12, 2008

A Musical Suggestion From Dennis Shulman: Ella Fitzgerald

>

Dennis Shulman was one of the best of the candidates we found running for office in 2008 and we sure do hope he'll run again in 2010. New Jersey deserves better than Scott Garrett. Dennis has a rich life outside politics, of course-- as a teacher, a psychologist, a writer, a rabbi-- and a drummer. When we first started communicating I was fascinating that a blind person would take up drumming. I soon realized how stupid that was of me. I also soon realized that Dennis and I were both enamored of the same song, "Take The A Train," only he was wild about a live version Ella Fitzgerald cut and I've always like an instrumental by Duke Ellington. Last week Dennis sent me his favorite version and I did a little YouTube and figured I'd give it a spin for you.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a tisket a tasket.... Dennis has a point about which version of A Train is better.

BTW is the impressionistic painting of Ella that appears at the 5 minute mark in the video by an artist named Bruni? Just curious. I own two of her painting and it looks like her style.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow. incredible scat solo.

is this performance available on a recording?

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

This is a post Howie left behind before leaving for the airport, so for answers to these excellent questions, we may have to wait till he has adequate computer access. But I promise you, we'll get answers!

Ken

 

Post a Comment

<< Home