Monday, July 09, 2007

WHO YOU GOING TO BELIEVE-- KARL ROVE OR DARCY BURNER?

>


I just finished interviewing Darcy Burner. She's going to be the Blue America guest this coming Saturday at Firedoglake (11am, PT) and I was asking her questions to help with the intro I need to write. When I asked her what the issues that resonate most strongly in her district-- the ones the voters bring up to her she wasn't sure which was #2 and which was #3 between safeguarding the environment and fixing the healthcare system. But she had no hesitation about which was #1-- Iraq. "Last year," she told me, "about a third of the voters I talked to opposed the Iraq occupation and about the same number supported it. The other third seemed unsure; they felt uncomfortable about the direction Bush was taking us but they were also convinced by the Republicans and the GOP media that all the Democrats could offer was surrender and defeat." That isn't what she's hearing now; not even close. "When I'm out talking with people in the district now, they've had enough and they want out."

No one fought harder to defeat Darcy last year than Rove, as we saw in the now infamous powerpoint presentation his office illegally gave at the GSA. The GOP dumped as much as $7,000,000 into a race they managed to win for the pathetic rubber stamp incumbent by just over 2,000 votes (out of over 120,000 cast). Saturday at FDL I'll try to explain why I think Darcy will swamp them next year. Today I just want to tell you how wrong Rove is about his latest pronouncement, namely that Iraq won't be a big issue next year. Rove will be as correct about that as he was about his absurd prediction that the GOP would keep control of both the House and the Senate last year.

I don't think I've spoken to a single candidate or incumbent who didn't tell me that his or her constituents felt that there was something that was a bigger and more important issue for them than Iraq. It sounds to me that Rove is just trying to prevent a stampede of Republican members of Congress, paralyzed with fear for their career mortality, for the exits.

Here's a clip of Darcy Burner and the phony-baloney, rubber stamp Republican hack she's running against debating Iraq. You can see why Karl Rove is so nervous:

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Chrispy67 said...

this is definitely a race the Dems can win in 08 - and I hope Darcy doesn't hav to face off in a primary against Hurst and/or Tom.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11 AM EST? 8 AM PST will be agony.
EDT? PDT? (DST)

VG

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

Thanks VG, I corrected it. It's 11am, PT, 2pm EST.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rove! Scum! Send him to the gallows since his idea of paradise is going to jail and having his ass filled with felon dick.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Daniel Kirkdorffer said...

Just a correction on the 2006 election results (you can see the numbers here: http://vote.wa.gov/Elections/general/Results.aspx?o=7b7f42a5-3c6e-4bd1-92d5-0e11d5bd6d16).

Darcy lost by a little over 7000 votes of over 250K cast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home