Tuesday, June 19, 2007

If you want to know about real, non-"fringe" American values, just read "The Fred Thompson Report" on the ABC Radio Networks website

>

Will the ABC Radio Networks website reconsider "The Fred Thompson
Report" when our Fred makes his presidential candidacy official?


"Took my son to the driving range with me. While we whacked golf balls, we discussed our lack of family values and my little boy stunned me with this question: "Dad, why haven't you been divorced a bunch of times like Fred Thompson and the other Republican presidential candidates?" "Now son," I said. "Senator Thompson's only been divorced once. You're thinking of Rudy Giuliani or Newt Gingrich."
--blogger Bob Geiger, in a post responding to a charge by presidential crypto-candidate--and, it now appears, ABC Radio Network website columnist--Fred Dalton Thompson that he's a "fringe element" in American society


Bob Geiger is one of the smartest, funniest, most straightforward, scrupulous, charming, and trustworthy people I know. Well, actually, I don't know him. I just read him in his various online venues. (Among other things, he does a remarkable job of keeping tabs on the activities of the U.S. Senate, a project that requires a contact network of trust he's singularly well-qualified to fulfill.)

Now Bob is under attack from America's District Attorney:

Did you know that former Senator and maybe, kinda, sorta Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson has his own column on the ABC Radio Network's web site? Neither did I until someone pointed out to me that he had written a piece bashing Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) for calling incompetent people in the Bush administration, well, incompetent.

And while it's standard fare for Republicans who have nothing whatsoever to offer America to attack Democrats for voicing loud opposition to their destructive policies, a little passage by Thompson describing a recent Reid conference call with Progressive bloggers really struck a chord with me.

Here's Fred:

"Harry Reid, though, has taken a different route. He made his statement about General Pace on a conference call with fringe elements of the blogosphere who think we're the bad guys. This is a place where even those who think the 9/11 attacks were an inside job find a home."

Well, I was on that conference call, and based on what I know of the other participants, I suspect they lead much the same kind of life that I do. I never knew I was a "fringe element" in American society, but when I look at a snapshot of my nefarious activities over the last week or so, I know in my heart that Freddie must be right.

You'll have a grand time if you visit Bob's blog and read the full chronicle of his week's worth of suburban subversions, including:

* drinking two of his favorite beer, Tree-Hugger Pale Ale, while mowing the lawn;

* enjoying a nice Shabbat dinner "with wife, son and in-laws . . . while planning family vacation and plotting overthrow of Federal government";

* while "shopping for son's birthday presents, hard a hard time deciding between membership in the ACLU and the Sierra Club or a SpongeBob SquarePants alarm clock."

After running down his exhausting week, Bob concludes:
I only regret that we didn’t have time to burn an American flag this week. But I feel better having spilled all of that and I urge the other people who were on the Reid conference call last week to do the same.

The only way we can truly confront being the wacko, zany, "fringe elements" that we are is to admit the lives we lead that so undermine Fred Thompson's vision of America.

Oh, by the way, I'm also a military Veteran who served my country when called.

And Fred Thompson? Well, he did do hard time at sea in The Hunt For Red October.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home