Monday, March 19, 2007

NO ONE IN SPARTA EVER HEARD OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN. UNFORTUNATELY NOT MANY AMERICANS KNOW WHO HE IS... BEYOND THE DUDE ON THE C-NOTE

>


But at least the Spartans had anticipated one of his greatest thoughts long before he was born. Americans, to whom he aimed it, are utterly clueless:

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

In the 60s I started living with a young lady more evolved than myself. She made vegetarian meals and they were delicious and she helped me understand why wars of aggression are wrong. Healthy eating and anti-violence have been part of my life ever since. But I just returned home from seeing 300 and I want to tear someone's beating heart out of his chest and eat it.

I cry in movies. I cried during 300. I cried for my country, for my people, for a people who allowed a pissant tyrant to take over our nation while we offered little more than a whimper. What's wrong with us? Do we deserve security? Do we deserve liberty? I'm going to the shooting range. I'll be back in the morning.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:05 AM, Blogger cybermome said...

My daughers American History class will be studying Vietnam and the 60s.
The kids had to pick a character from that period and write a paper on that character: and then debate the other characters in the class. My daughter picked Abbie Hoffman. Friday night we watched Steal This Movie : directed by a major shit kicker Robert Greenwald. Yes that Greenwald. Its a movie...fyi. One of the things that struck me about that period and what that yippees did was challenge authority at every turn.That was what they did so brillantly. I fear that too many kids of my daughters generation are way to complacent and complient.
Then I look at her and what she does in her own to push up against the status quo and I am really proud...
Because I haved raised a kid who will go in the world and rage against the "man"...

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Captain Quahog said...

I have read some interesting reviews and most of them tend to focus on the homoerotism of the movie. At first I wanted to see it but now that I realize that it's just another blood fest I think I'll pass.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger TSop said...

While a freshman in college, some buds and I took a 'bone cruise' to New Hope, PA one sunny afternoon. Great place full of creative types and good food - this was the height of the Reagan era - and as we were parking our car on a side street, walking along the sidewalk was Abbie Hoffman wearing a shirt that said, "Just Say No to Drugs."

Nancy Reagan would be proud! We all recognized him and said hello, he flashed a big grin and said hello back. Not sure why or how we knew him, but we did. A great memory.

Now just to have the right to hold up a 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' sign at a parade has to go to the Supreme Court. I cry for my country too sometimes...

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for a people who allowed a puissant tyrant to take over our nation while we offered little more than a whimper.

Pu·is·sant a. [F., originally, a p. pr. formed fr. L. posse to be able: cf. L. potens powerful. See Potent.]
Powerful; strong; mighty; forcible; as, a puissant prince or empire. « Puissant deeds.» Milton.

piss·ant also piss-ant (pĭs'ănt') Slang. n. 1. One that is insignificant. 2. Obsolete. An ant. adj. Not important; insignificant: “Some pissant Texas court wants to make [the company] pay . . . more than $10 billion in reparations” (New Republic).

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

I wrote "pissant" and that damn spell check changed it. Thanks; it's been bothering me all day. I'll change it back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home