Sunday, March 04, 2007

In case you hadn't already heard about this: TV's Craig Ferguson makes news, to his amazement, by "not poking fun of somebody"

>

" . . . I certainly won't do [this show] for money, as it turns out, because I work for CBS . . . "
--TV's Craig Ferguson, week before last, in his explanation of his decision against doing Britney Spears jokes following her recent meltdown

I'm still trying to get my bearings after returning from sudden call-away to a family medical emergency. It's now, what, two full days since I returned, and I'm still playing catch-up across the board. In the e-mail is this item about our old friend TV's Craig Ferguson passed on by a friend. It's old news now, but there are bound to be others of you who haven't heard about it yet either:


Worth watching and listening to =

You tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bbaRyDLMvA
============================================================

Craig Ferguson Refuses To Do Spears Jokes

NEW YORK, Feb. 21, 2007 (CBS/AP)--Craig Ferguson decided not to poke fun at Britney Spears, at least for now.

Ferguson, host of "The Late Late Show" on CBS, told viewers Monday that after seeing photos of the bald female pop star, he reconsidered making jokes at the expense of the "vulnerable."

"Tonight, no Britney Spears jokes. Here's why: The kind of weekend she had, she was checking in and out of rehab, shaving her head, getting tattoos. That's what she was doing this weekend," he said on his show. "This Sunday I was 15 years sober. I didn't do it for anyone else but myself. I did it because it was an act of conscience. I'm amazed that not poking fun of somebody has become a news story."

"For me, comedy should have a certain amount of joy in it," Ferguson said. "It should be about attacking the powerful--the politicians, the Trumps, the blowhards--going after them. We shouldn't be attacking the vulnerable." Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel are free to do whatever jokes they want, but in light of Anna Nicole Smith's death, he said people should realize that addiction isn't a joke.

"I think there's an edit button missing somewhere," Ferguson told E! entertainment news anchor and The Early Show correspondent Giuliana DePandi. "I think that as a society, we should look it up every now and again. I think that society, there's something, kinda social, socially lacking … I won't do this show for demographics, I won't do it for viewers, I certainly won't do it for money, as it turns out, because I work for CBS, this is about doing something that I have fun doing and I believe in doing."

Ferguson said he doesn't know if Spears is an alcoholic, but she is clearly suffering.

"I don't want to talk about sick people like that," he said.

Spears made headlines over the weekend when she shaved her head at a Los Angeles hair salon and then went to a tattoo parlor where she had a pair of lips put on her wrist. The appearance came the same day as reports on TV and Web sites that Spears had briefly checked into a rehabilitation center.

Despite the media frenzy that is surrounding Spears' demise, Ferguson said fans are responding well to the stand he has taken.

"Thousands of e-mails have come pouring into CBS with people saying, 'Good job,' " he said. "I would have done it anyway, though. You have to understand this. The other side of this, for CBS, that you have to understand, is, if this was a less popular stance, I'd still be taking it."

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Milt Shook said...

All I can manage to say is, it's about fricking time...

I've never understood any of this, myself. I mean, I find Britney Spears annoying, and I found Anna Nicole Smith impossible to stomach for more than 5 minutes. But I will not revel in their misery, and I don't understand people who do.

What have we become as a society, when pretty much all humor is at someone's personal expense. I'm not sure most people understand the difference between joking about Britney Spears' questionable musical ability, or her annoying attempts to "look sexy," and joking about her possible alcoholism or the potentially abusive care her kids have received. I wonder if people realize that what Mel Gibson said to those police offers that fateful night was not a joke; the joke was his attempted stabs at credibility both before, when we only suspected he was a loon, and after, when his loon status had been confirmed?

I've been wondering if it's even possible for people to find anything funny that isn't borderline obscene or defamatory...

And for those wingnuts who might stumble across this and do not nderstand the concept of "nuance," what The Daily Show and Stehen Colbert do is not the same. They are satirizing the news, and highlighting the stupid things politicians and public figures DO. They don't exploit their human frailties, except in those instances where they are demonstrated hypocrites. You know, like Tom DeLay referring to others as crooks, or Newt Gingrich, who was voting to impeach a president for sex, before going home to screw an assistant he wasn't married to...

I hope that what Ferguson did becomes a trend, but I'm not hopeful...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home