Sunday, August 13, 2006

Quote of the day: Nancy Pelosi shows a crucial quality for a future speaker of the House--she understands the importance of breakfast

>

"Ice cream for breakfast is a good thing. In fact I did it recently in Washington. It got me through the day."
--House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, talking about her obsession with chocolate in a Q&A with the NYT Magazine's Deborah Solomon

Now that's my kind of pol!

(Note for the record: This is Ken, not Howie, who doesn't eat ice cream. He does eat those ghastly concoctions passed off as ice cream by voodoo "raw food" practitioners who torture innocent nuts 'n' stuff that never did them any harm.)

My temptation is to say that anyone with that deep an understanding of chocolate and ice cream is my idea of the ideal speaker of the House, which Pelosi tells Deborah Solomon is her ultimate ambition. Of course a moment's reflection tells me that many really bad people also have a passion for chocolate and understand what a fine breakfast ice cream can make.

Nevertheless, Pelosi remains my A-number-one choice for the next speaker of the House. Just not because of the ice cream. Count that as a "bonus."

(I'd still love to be invited to one of her breakfast meetings.)


INSTANT UPDATE ON KEN'S CALUMNY

Howie here. I am so grossed out. I still want her to be Speaker, of course. But ice cream for breakfast is a bad idea. Here's a good idea for breakfast:

half a papaya (or honeydew) stuffed with blueberries, sliced strawberries, pomegranate seeds, lemon juice, pecans, ground-up flax seeds.

Now that will really get you through the day and help you think clearly and just maybe find a better head of the DCCC. A few days ago I interviewed Dr. Victoria Wulsin who is running for Congress against the tragic Mean Jean Schmidt in OH-02. Dr. Wulsin will be our guest next Saturday at Firedoglake's Blue America series (2 PM). She mentioned that Howard Dean was coming over to her house and I gave her that recipe because it's what I prepared for Dr. Dean when he came over to my house for breakfast a couple years ago. A medical doctor, he instantly recognized how good that kind of breakfast is-- as opposed to the heavy, greasy fare he is often fed by well-meaning supporters. I might also add that it tastes totally delicious.

Now, as for Ken's slur against raw food "ice cream," I challenge any DWT reader to meet me at the Jade Cafe in Silverlake for a taste test of the most delicious "ice cream" you will ever try.


SO THAT'S WHAT THAT CRAP IS--CALUMNY?

I thought it was ground-up and further-denatured nuts, maybe mixed with chalk--or possibly some kind of petroleum-based product.--Ken

1 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home