Thursday, August 03, 2006

ANGELIDES ENDORSES CLEAN MONEY PROPOSITION. SCHWARZENEGGER IS ALL ABOUT DIRTY MONEY AND DIRTY POLITICS AND DIRTY GOVERNMENT

>


On the 4th of July I criticized my candidate for governor of California, Phil Angelides. Having a basic mistrust of career politicians, I'm always suspicious that even someone who seems progressive-- and has a progressive record like Phil-- might have an inner Tom DeLay or Arnold Schwarzenegger or Rahm Emanuel lurking beneath the surface ready to pop out as soon as I write them a check.

What was twisting me up on July 4th is that Angelides hadn't endorsed Clean Money Prop 89. I feel strongly about the corrosive and corrupting influence of Big Money on our political system. I know not everyone agrees with me but I feel that getting Big Money out of politics is even more important than any individual candidates.

So wasn't I excited when my friend Matt sent me the news that Phil came out swingin' for Prop 89 today! Not all of Phil's supporters agree with this bill so he's actually taking a risk by taking a stand. To me it makes me feel I was right to have endorsed him back in May because it reinforces the feeling that I had about him being a real leader.

If you want to read Phil's announcement you'll get an understanding of why he's backing what could be the most important proposition for people who support grassroots politics in the whole country (and certainly in the state of California).

The California proposal is similar to the two in Arizona and Maine that are working so well. Basically, it will provide public fundraising to candidates who agree to spending limits and who reject turning themselves into prostitutes for Special Interests.

"I am proud to join the ranks of California Nurses Association, The League of Women Voters, California Common Cause and so many others in supporting Proposition 89-- the Clean Money Initiative," said Angelides who was joined by California Nurses Association President Deborah Burger and Assemblywoman Loni Hancock. "It is time for the people of California to clean up the influence of money in our government. Our government should answer to the voices of Californians, not corporate special interests."

Schwarzenegger, of course, one of the biggest and worst political whores in the history of California state government, is not supporting the proposition. Schwarzenegger is a poster boy for dirty money and foul politics. When he was first elected he flaunted the great wealth he made as an actor and claimed "I will go to Sacramento and I will clean house. I don't have to take money from anybody. I have plenty of money." Since then he's taken nearly $100 million from the most vile and contemptible special interests on the planet-- and done quid pro quo after quid pro quo for every self-serving corporation with a destructive agenda and a check with his name on it. Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Financial Services, HMO, Insurance... everyone looking for special favors, loopholes and a chance to rip off Californians has found a sympathetic ear from Schwarzenegger-- after they've written the checks.

He's been a catastrophe for California working people and a champion of corporations looking to fatten their bottom lines by outsourcing American jobs. And in soon after coming to office, before figuring out that he needed to distance himself from Bush and his hated policies, not embrace them, he announced his intention to privatize the state's public retirement system (after pocketing $6 million dollars in legal bribes from the financial interests pushing this harebrained scheme). Californians are aware that he vetoed a state drug importation program aimed at reducing the price of pharmaceuticals for the poor and elderly. Californians are less aware that Big Pharma has been shoveling money at him.

1 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there when Phil made his statement and answered questions and it was his finest hour of the campaign.

There is a lot more to say, especially about Arnold. Just saw your article. Right on! What's funny is that we came up with almost identical headlines. Good framing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home