Thursday, November 10, 2005

TRIUMPHANT TEXAS RIGHT-WINGERS, HAVING BANNED GAY MARRIAGE (AGAIN) WANT TO TACKLE DIVORCE AND THEN TAKE THEIR LUNACY TO THE U.S.

>

Now that the hate-filled Texas Taliban has pushed thru their reactionary anti-gay marriage amendment, they are really feelin' their oats-- and, predictably, looking for new targets for a hatred that keeps growing and growing. And according to today's DALLAS MORNING NEWS, the loons of Texas are debating whether to spread their poison nationwide or concentrate on restricting divorces in their own backward corner of the world. In an article called GAY MARRIAGE FOES TACKLE DIVORCE NEXT, Robert Garrett and Wayne Slater report that "Texas social conservatives want to translate their resounding victory on a gay marriage ban into broader results: reducing the state's divorce rate and passing a nationwide amendment to prevent same-sex unions. Rep. Warren Chisum, who wrote the amendment, Proposition 2, endorsed by Texas voters by a ratio of more than 3-1, said Wednesday that it's too easy for spouses to split up. The state should consider repealing or modifying its no-fault divorce law, the Pampa Republican said. 'Gee whiz, our divorce rate's higher than New York,' Mr. Chisum said. He proposed that between now and their next regular session in 2007, lawmakers study ways 'to make marriage thrive more in our state.'"

One of Texas' worst hate-mongers and most vicious fascists, Cathie Adams, president of the Texas Eagle Forum, an anti-Christ front group, was jubilant over the pain she is causing gay Texans and is now all gung-ho on a ban on gay and lesbian foster parents but thinks that will have to wait until they can pack more neo-Nazis into the State Senate. Meanwhile she has endorsed Chisum's call for a review of the no-fault divorce law (which has been in effect for over 30 years). Something tells me the Texas voters won't be quite as eager to take away their own rights as they were to take away the rights of gay Texans. But it is Texas... so who knows?

3 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

Do you really think that gay rights are more important than other rights that aren't protected by the government? Check out this post and give me your answer.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

Thanks for your comment, Kelly. I'm not a trained psychiatrist so I'm not sure how to respond to you. I should point out that nothing in my blog indicates-- nor do I think-- that "gay rights are more important than other rights." I have a good old fashioned American libertarian streak in me that says as long as people aren't harming anyone else, the government should leave them the hell alone. Why gays want to get "married" is also beyond my ken (for the same reason why I can't address your own problem comprehensively) but I can't figure out any reason, outside of irrational fear and out-and-out bigotry why that should matter to anyone else. As far as drug use and gambling, I don't know much about either but my gut instinct is that if someone is stupid enough to want to do either-- as long as they don't bother anyone else-- it's of no concern to the government. As long as someone doesn't get their tobacco smoke anywhere near sane people, who cares if they want to kill themselves? Well, their friends and family care, but I don't think it should be a concern of the government.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

my friend a: I don't think any of that is the issue. And insulting people isn't really the way to go about things, but just to dignify that a bit I will respond by letting you know I'll be married in 36 days.

downwithtyranny: That's just it. I don't think that they are more important than any other rights. I'm mostly looking at it from a judicial rather than a legislative perspective. As far as I'm concerned legislatures can do whatever they want with the issue. I'm mostly for the position that judges should stay out of these heated political debates.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home