Wednesday, July 06, 2005

CRASH

>

I hear a lot of crying about how no one is going to the movies anymore. The big studios are freaking out because ticket sales are way down this year. They talk ominously about pirating and others bring up how people are spending money on other forms of entertainment, particularly computer games. Last week I heard a rave review for WAR OF THE WORLDS before it was out and I did something I thought I had learned long ago NOT to do: I went to see it on the opening weekend. I mean it was Spielberg... how bad could it be? And, in truth, it wasn't really bad. It just wasn't very good. It was OK, maybe a little better than OK if you get off on effects and action and don't care about meaning and narrative. I could have done without it but I didn't asked for my money back (something I do when I really hate a movie). Last night I went to see a movie I've heard a steady buzz about for weeks and weeks. No big fireworks from the press but lots of people mentioning that it was amazing and that I'd love it. The movie was CRASH. And... OMG! It was really good.

Before it came on, there were tons of previews and they were all advertisements for why no one wants to go to the movies anymore-- like one horrible stinker after another. I mean THE NEW WORLD (a serious look at the story of Pocahantas) looks like it might possibly be interesting but it probably won't be that good and that was the ONLY preview that looked better than going to the dentist to remove a wisdom tooth.

Everything about CRASH was wonderful-- the script, the actors, the direction. It was thrilling and it even helped exercise the brain. I couldn't wait to call friends and tell them to see it. "What's it about?" is what I was asked when I did. Hmmm... well... it's about coincidences (like Thornton Wilder's book A BRIDGE OVER SAN LUIS REY) and it's about racism and it's about Los Angeles and it's about the concept of cause and effect in human relations and it's about... well, people. And redemption. And looking for a hero. And not finding one, at least not where you think you will. It's a film worth seeing. And even though it has stars from the pop culture (Ryan Philippe, Sandra Bullock, Brendan Fraser, Nona Gaye, Mat Dillon, Ludacris...), you don't have to worry about idiots being in the theater. It's not that kind of movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home