Tuesday, August 26, 2003

[8/26/2011] Bob and Ray Tonight: "Lucky Phone Call" (plus an encore presentation of "The Cranberry Man") (continued)

>

GEORGE E. PORGY: I'm a dessert man. I make mostly puddings and pies. Is this Ray?
BOB: No, this is Bob.
PORGY: I can never tell you fellows apart.
-- from "Lucky Phone Call"



from Write If You Get Work:
The Best of Bob and Ray
(1975)


BOB: Here we go to dial Oakland, California, selected scientifically for our Bob and Ray Lucky Phone Call. Let's hope our lucky recipient is home to receive our award.

[Sound: Dialing phone, phone buzz, pickup of phone]

VOICE: Hello?
BOB: Hello, is this Oakland 3-2135?
VOICE: Let me check . . . yeah, this is it.
BOB Well, we have the right number, let's hope we have the right man. This is Bob and Ray calling from New York, sir. It's our lucky phone call if you are Mr. G. E. Porgy. Is that right, sir?
PORGY: That's right, I am.
BOB: Congratulations, you have received the Bob and Ray Lucky Phone Call. Tell us a little bit about yourself, Mr. Porgy. What's your first name?
PORGY: George. What I do, I'm working at the Top of the Roof restaurant in San Francisco.
BOB: I've been there many times. Are you a waiter?
PORGY: I'm a dessert man. I make mostly puddings and pies. Is this Ray?
BOB: No, this is Bob.
PORGY: I can never tell you fellows apart.
BOB: George E. Porgy, can you tell us how long you have been at the Top of the Roof, and how long you have been in the dessert business?
PORGY: I've been making pudding and pies ever since I got out of cooks and bakers school in the service in World War I.
BOB: Do you kiss the waitresses and make them cry?
PORGY: Ha-ha. They giggle, they giggle. When I come out of the kitchen to kiss one of the waitresses or one of the patrons, they all kind of giggle and laugh.
BOB: Well, it's the personal touch that has endeared you and the Top of the Roof restaurant . . .
PORGY: The whole gang here including the dishwasher and the salad man are wondering what I am going to get because of the Lucky Phone Call. They are all pretty excited.
BOB: Right.
PORGY: What time is it back there?
BOB: Three hours' difference.
PORGY: Wow!
BOB: George, nice to talk to you and congratulations again on being our Lucky Phone Call recipient. The first one of this month, in fact.
PORGY: What will I get? They are all wondering.
BOB: You are going to get a season pass to the Bob and Ray Show. You can come to any one or to all, if you would rather, here at the studio.
PORGY [pause]: If you ever come out here . . .
BOB: So long to Mr. George E. Porgy in Oakland, Calif --
PORGY: . . . I'll punch you right in your nose. I wish you would fly out at my expense.
BOB: That's about all the time we have for the phone call.
PORGY [to his co-workers]: I'm gonna get a season pass to those bums!
BOB: Now he is telling the good news to those folks out there. So long, sir, and so much for this Lucky Phone Call!

* * *

TOMORROW NIGHT: A Sunday Classics Preview of Beethoven's elegant introductions


SUNDAY NIGHT: Again with a hat tip to the Car Talk guys, we kick off a week of "Thurber Tonight" encore presentations with "The Night the Bed Fell" from My Life and Hard Times


RETURN TO THE BEGINNING OF THE POST
#

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Blogger Kevin1970 said...

I sure miss these guys. Listened to them for years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home