Tuesday, April 22, 2003

[4/22/2011] Preview: Can you identify the four tenors we have singing Verdi's "Ingemisco" tonight? (continued)

>


Here's Andrea Bocelli singing the "Ingemisco." I've heard worse.


BEFORE WE BEGIN, I MIGHT ADD THAT
ONE OF OUR FOUR RECORDINGS . . .


. . . doesn't seem to me quite to belong in the company of the others. I've included it primarily for historical purposes. I'm sure you'll know which one I mean.

Feel free to share your thoughts about the performances, whether or not you want to identify the singers. Comments are probably easiest for readers to find if you leave them on the front page of the post, but you can leave 'em here too.


VERDI: Requiem: Dies Irae: No. 7, "Ingemisco"
I groan as one who is accused;
guilt reddens my cheek;
Thy supplicant spare, O God.

Thou who absolved Mary,
and harkened to the thief,
hast given me hope.

My prayers are worthless,
but Thou who art good and kind,
rescue me from everlasting fire.

With Thy sheep give me a place,
and from the goats keep me separate,
placing me at Thy right hand.

Tenor A


Tenor B


Tenor C


Tenor D



THE ANSWERS --

as I said before the click-through -- will be posted around 6pm ET Saturday. There'll be a link to a version of the clips with full identifications.


UPDATE: THE ANSWERS ARE AVAILABLE HERE NOW


IN TOMORROW NIGHT'S PREVIEW . . .

We place the "Ingemisco" in context in the Requiem, and then Sunday we return to the "Ingemisco" and take the damned thing apart.


RETURN TO THE BEGINNING OF THE POST
#

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home