Thursday, April 17, 2003

4/17/2011] Sunday Classics: Verdi blows the lid off the whole Krap Kristian hypocrisy (continued)

>

"Liber scriptus"

I don't think I've heard anyone sound that opening -- "Liber scriptus proferetur" -- in as hammering, weaponlike a fashion as Agnes Baltsa, as in the Karajan clip. (Wouldn't you think the camera would be on her at this incredibly dramatic moment? Apparently not in a Karajan production. As you'll notice in the clip of the Pavarotti "Ingemisco" from Karajan's earlier Verdi Requiem film, the same happens there.) So we could use one of her audio recordings here, but instead I think we'll start with just the opening sung by the great Italian dramatic mezzo Ebe Stignani.
A written book shall be brought forth
in which all is recorded,
whence the world shall be judged.
Ebe Stignani, mezzo-soprano; Rome Opera Chorus and Orchestra, Tullio Serafin, cond. EMI, recorded 1939

And here's the continuation. I think we'll stick with Stignani.
Therefore, when the Judge shall be seated
nothing shall be held hidden any longer,
no wrong shall remain unpunished.
[repeat]
A written book shall be brought forth
in which all is recorded,
whence the world shall be judged. &c.

Ebe Stignani, mezzo-soprano; Rome Opera Chorus and Orchestra, Tullio Serafin, cond. EMI, recorded 1939

Now here's the whole of the "Liber scriptus," leading into a reiteration of the thundering "Dies irae, sung by two suitably deep-voiced mezzos (van Nes and Quivar) and a genuine contralto (Chookasian)."
A written book shall be brought forth
in which all is recorded,
whence the world shall be judged.

Therefore, when the Judge shall be seated
nothing shall be held hidden any longer,
no wrong shall remain unpunished.

Jard van Nes (ms); Munich Bach Choir, Frankfurt Singing Academy, Saarbrücken Radio Symphony Orchestra, Hanns-Martin Schneidt, cond. Arte Nova, recorded Oct. 30, 1988
Florence Quivar, mezzo-soprano; Ernst-Senff Chorus, Berlin Philharmonic, Carlo Maria Giulini, cond. DG, recorded April 1989
Lili Chookasian, contralto; Tanglewood Festival Chorus, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf, cond. RCA/BMG, recorded Oct. 5-6 1964, Apr. 5, 1965

"Ingemisco"

It would have been too easy to take all of our Verdi Requiem musical examples from the Reiner-Vienna Philharmonic recording with Leontyne Price, Rosalind Elias, Jussi Bjoerling, and Giorgio Tozzi, so I decided to avoid it altogether this week. So here is the "Ingemisco" from an assortment of sources.

I groan as one who is accused;
guilt reddens my cheek;
spare Thy supplicant, O God.

Thous who absolved Mary,
and harkened to the thief,
and hast given me hope.

My prayers are worthless,
but Thou who art good and kind,
rescue me from everlasting fire.

With Thy sheep give me a place,
and from the goats keep me separate,
placing me at Thy right hand.
Jussi Bjoerling, tenor; Frederick Schauwecker, piano. RCA/BMG, recorded live at Carnegie Hall, 1958
Fritz Wunderlich, tenor; South German Radio Symphony Orchestra, Helmut Müller-Kray. Live performance, Nov. 2, 1960
Franco Corelli, tenor; New York Philharmonic, Zubin Mehta, cond. Live performance, 1967
Plácido Domingo, tenor; Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Daniel Barenboim, cond. Erato, recorded c1994


UPDATE

I had ambitious plans for the "Liber scriptus" and especially the "Ingemisco." We were going to break it down, using a number of performances that for one reason or another -- time collapsing in on me, technical difficulties -- I haven't been able to assemble properly. But shortly I'll be adding one more performance that I don't think many readers will have heard.

I've thought about a post like this for so long that I thought it would come easily. Even without the unexpected technical difficulties, it didn't. Anyway, here is that extra "Ingemisco." (I see this performance has been issued on CD by Myto, very likely in better sound than my old LP edition. Oh well.)

Franco Corelli, tenor; Los Angeles Philharmonic, Zubin Mehta, cond. Live performance, 1967


RETURN TO THE BEGINNING OF THE POST
#

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home