Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Digby!

>



by Ken

Last night Howie passed on the news that the Sidney Hillman Foundation has chosen Digby as the recipient of this year's Hillman Prize for Opinion and Analysis Journalism, "for incisive commentary on the struggle for economic justice in the U.S."

Does it get any better?

If you haven't already read the citation, which Howie included in his post, I can only encourage you to read it -- the whole thing. I couldn't have said it better -- or, probably, nearly as well. Here again is just the first paragraph:
Digby writes constantly, engages readers, quotes generously, and exists inside today's 24-hour news cycle with both her fearlessness and her point of view intact. She has been filing daily updates to her Hullabaloo blog since 2002, creating one of the last independent sources for progressive commentary, incisive political analysis and media criticism. She is a daily blogger who is a must-read in the halls of power, among activists and organizers, and by the national media she sometimes criticizes with acerbic accuracy.
Yes! One line I especially loved: "Just say 'Digby' to any of hundreds journalists and commentators, and you'll get an appreciative smile."

Let me just add my congrats and thanks to Digby for her prodigious wisdom, wit, grace, dignity, and sheer endurance.

Howie concluded his post last night with a link to Digby's Hullabaloo, which obviously cuts to the heart of the matter! In a sweet little post this afternoon she expressed predictably gracious thanks for the honor, "a surprise for an old country blogger," and after thanking a group of colleagues, starting with her blog contributors over the years, offered "many, many thanks" --
to the generous readers who have supported this blog all these years. That support is what allowed me to stay independent and do this on my own terms which is a very precious and unusual gift in this life. So thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this thrilling day possible for me.
I know I'm smiling.
#

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home