Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Alex Sink Will Run The Same Campaign Against Congressman Jolly In November… No, Really

>




Last night a dull, uninspiring centrist advocating the politics of Beltway centrism-- despite the focus-group-tested message in the ad above (the last one run by the doomed Alex Sink campaign)-- was defeated by a weak and generic Republican lobbyist. Sink was defeated on election day by poorer-than-expected turnout among Democrats and left-leaning independents, after a surprisingly decent showing in early voting. Lots of TV ads do not make up for a weak message (Chained CPI, for example) and a weaker ground game. So while David Jolly's campaign was bolstered by the ground troops of National Right To Life and the NRA, the DCCC and its allies were, cluelessly, running more expensive TV ads. Their strategy failed. It won't stop them from ruining more campaigns with the same strategy for the rest of the cycle. It's their business model. You've heard this from me over and over. This morning, you can hear substantially the same story from another voice, the activist mother of a failed Democratic candidate from another cycle, who watched the Alex Sink campaign founder on familiar shoals. (A few identification details have been changed to protect a couple of careers.)
I am the daughter of Mexican immigrants. My parents worked hard, played by the rules, and never expected more than they deserved. They understood the importance of fairness and equality, embodying these values in their actions. They raised me according to these values and I have lived my life attempting to uphold their tradition.

In the 1960s I had two twin daughters. I very quickly looked them in the eyes and told them that as a parent, I had big shoes to fill. However, as long as they understood that everyone deserves equal respect and equal opportunity, I would be doing justice by my parents, upholding the values they so passionately instilled in me. I believe I succeeded.

One of my daughters is a writer. She inspires millions of young women across the world. She implores all women that with hard work and dedication, any woman can be what she wishes.

My other daughter became an award winning physician. She travels the world curing the rarest of diseases in the most desolate nations. She believes in her work and in the power of caring. These values have impacted her greatly, and 6 years ago, they inspired her to run for the United States House of Representatives.

Upon hearing this great news, my entire family came together in honor of my daughter's career and passions. We all congratulated her on her decision and took pride in the dedication she so boldly made to help those in need. We told her that she would win the race by being the hardworking, dedicated individual I had raised her to be. We were proud of her, and excited to see her succeed.

She announced to the world that she had decided to run for public office, and defeat an intrenched incumbent who had been known for his prejudices against women and against people of color and lie in order to further his political career. Throngs of women across the nation began to donate to my daughter, encouraging her to keep up the good fight and defeat this horrible individual. And then, she was courted by a powerful Democratic woman's organization.

This organization promised my daughter the world. Specifically, their regional liaison to our poor, impoverished Mexican American district promised to help my daughter get to congress. She promised the resources needed to fight back against the corporate evils of my daughter's opponents. This take-charge individual even went as far as hiring a complete staff to help my daughter. Quickly, we learned her true motives.

This organization-- with all of their money and knowledge-- was no better than my daughter's woman hating opponent. They wanted to fill the pockets of their rich white, spoiled networks, utilizing their skills for the campaign in return for great fees.

When my daughter didn't comply, they would lash out, telling my daughter's white staff members that they didn't believe in people of color being in office. They solely cared about their commissions and keeping their elite, white, tradition in tact, and lining their friends' and families' pockets--they were everything my parents had taught me not to be.

My daughter ended up losing that race. The strategists from the woman's organization repeatedly told her that an organized, funded field campaign-- in which poor Mexican students would be funded to campaign-- was "hogwash." They insisted that all that mattered was television and mail. Well my daughter spent two million dollars on TV and mail, lost by 10 points, and was left $500,000 in debt.

So, as I look at my party's loss tonight in Florida, I am not surprised. Those who truly supported Alex Sink, in fact did not lose-- they won! They helped their friends and got their commissions. The same organization that ruined my daughter's race continues to be rich.

So who cares if seniors and children die and remain hungry because of this loss? Not these people! These people at that vile organization remained employed and their families and friends remain well fed and funded because of our party's electoral losses. It's all a sham and my parents are turning in their graves…
Yesterday, vegetarian Bill Clinton announced he would be headlining a fundraising event at the Prime Rib in Philly for Chained CPI advocate Marjorie Margolies, Chelsea Clinton's very centrist mother-in-law. A week from yesterday, IL-13 Democrats are expected to nominate an Alex Sink doppleganger, Ann Callis, to run in a district very much like FL-13. The DCCC and EMILY's List will run an identical campaign to the one they just failed with in Florida-- and lose in Illinois as well. Good luck, Democrats.


UPDATE: A Comment On The GOTV "Effort"

Bridget worked as a volunteer for Sink doing field work. She commented Tuesday evening as the race was being called on an earlier post:
I was in the field, but as a volunteer. I volunteered daily at the north office. The FD there was a pompous drunk, who held no-one anymore accountable than he did himself. They got hammered the night prior to the GOTV dry run. I didn't know whether I wanted to cry or throw up. What a shameful effort to fix Congress. My first day down there I was at the main office, and I got a Votebuilder account and set about vol recruitment. I was told that though I was calling the southernmost part of the district, and though there was an office closer to the people I was calling that I was to ONLY recruit them if they were willing to come to the main office, otherwise leave them alone, NOT tell them there was an office closer to them because the FO I was calling for wouldn't get credit if they volunteered at another office. I have been down here for 7 weeks. I board a plane home in the morning. I think that smart campaigning could have won the district. I hope I never encounter such a dismal effort again.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Retired Patriot said...

All part and parcel of the corporate takeover in DC. Winning campaigns are built on the ground. Until enough liberal minded voters have been mugged, get mad, and get out there themselves, the model will not change. And the Koch-ites smile because the corporate model of government is designed to fail and ruin government's reputation among the very same liberal minded voters.
RP

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any undergrad poli-sci student should be horrified that campaign professionals would release tripe like that campaign commercial and expect to win anything more than a handshake. They aren't trying to get a majority; they're playing games.

Vic78

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it shouldn't surprise anyone that these centrist Democrats aren't exciting the base. While I would much rather see a single payer system, I think it's ridiculous for Democrats to take this as a sign that they need to run from the modest improvements in Obamacare. I wrote more about it on my blog: http://ow.ly/uzAgw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home