Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Can Charlie Crist Be Trusted?

>


"I was a Republican because I thought that those were the people who best supported markets. I think that is not true anymore. I was a Republican at a time when I felt like there was a problem that the markets were under a lot more strain. It worried me whether or not the government played too activist a role." Can you guess who said that? Hint: think of the 5 most brilliant progressives in Congress. still not? Narrow it down to 3 then. Bernie Sanders is from Brooklyn and Alan Grayson is from the Bronx. They came from Democratic households. So that leaves someone who was born in Oklahoma and then lived in Texas. Yes, Elizabeth Warren used to vote Republican. Now look at how she's grown!

Why bring this up? This cycle we've come across two progressive Democrats, Jason Thigpen in North Carolina and Michael Cole in Texas-- the former challenging Walter Jones and the latter Steve Stockman-- who are recent converts to the Democratic Party. At those links above each explains how they decided they're Democrats. I spoken with both guys and they passed my smell test. But does Charlie Crist?

I've never spoken to him and from what I've read, I'm afraid he doesn't. He seems more like a careerist and opportunist than someone who has embraced Democratic values and ideals-- something like his pal, Patrick Murphy, who was elected as a Democrat but who votes with Republicans. This week, the Florida Press Association talked with Crist about his party switch, although not his opportunism. It was basically another opportunity for Crist to further his career ambitions.

“I don’t think people prize party participation much at all in our society today," he said. "I think they are fed up with it to be honest with you… I didn’t leave them, they left me. When I saw the leadership of the Republican Party going in the opposite direction of that to be true to my core beliefs and to be trustworthy to myself and to be able to look in the mirror, I had to get out of there. Changing parties is why you should trust me more than anything.”
However, Crist’s shift away from the Republican Party was a move of necessity.

Facing likely defeat by then-Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio in the 2010 Republican Senate primary, Crist became an independent.

“I’m just more comfortable being a Democrat,” Crist said. “They seem to be much more compassionate, much more tolerant, much more welcoming.”

Asked why not stay a Republican and just take a more progressive position, Crist said, "I don’t think there are many of those left."

"The leadership of the Republican Party, I think, went in such a rigid direction of intolerance, I couldn’t stay there anymore," he said.

So far, voters seem to be unsure about whether Crist deserves the benefit of the doubt-- and Republicans have already begun running ads casting Crist as a political opportunist and an unreliable governor.

A Quinnipiac University poll released Nov. 21 shows Crist with a seven-point lead over Republican Gov. Rick Scott-- down from a ten-point lead in June.

But Scott’s approval rating also dropped from 43 percent to 42 percent in the months since Quinnipiac’s June survey.

Neither Scott nor Crist seemed to have the market cornered on trustworthiness. When asked whether Crist is “honest and trustworthy,” 40 percent of respondents said yes, 42 percent said no. Scott’s numbers were worse, with 38 percent of respondents saying the current governor was “honest and  trustworthy” and 49 percent saying he was not.

…“I’m just going to be Charlie Crist. I am who I am,” he said. “And Floridians fortunately know what I’m about and what I believe in and what I think is important and what I think is important is them.”
If Crist wins the Democratic primary against poorly-funded Nan Rich, Florida is stuck with one thing that is clear-- a choice between the lesser of two evils. Have you ever met a closet case worthy of your trust?



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Richard Paul Dembinsky said...

Okay, I am honest I did not enjoy reading any portion of this Charlie Crist article but today November 29, 2013 I have finally bounced around enough; WE have to select either Honorable Rick Scott again or get really out on a limb and select Charlie Crist. The real democrats in Florida and even nationally are in trouble; I typically vote as an independent person and I must say the poor job that President Obama is doing will impact me until the end of time for me.

Charlie Crist well only because I need to force Rick Scott to call the Division of Elections Director to demand that the unfair and unconstitutional Florida Election Law be considered unconstitutional immediately or I will vote for Charlie Crist.

See only republicans are to be listed at the top of the ballot in all races because the Governor is Republican....this is BS and therefore coupled with other unfair election procedures democrats cannot even have a CFO candidate....look at what we get so far the two initial candidates have been the best democrats could find so far.

onballot.com

whocareshalloffame.com


Oh, I have been a candidate in many races over the past 10 years and I have seen republicans and the friends in the newspaper business take out a candidate as soon as a challenger to any republican incumbent happens.

Good Luck Charlie YOU caused your name to be what it is....so suffer with being second to Rick Scott.

William Rankin please decide to move back to England or Ohio; because you are not helping get candidates to run for democratic offices.

William Rankin must apologize to newspaper people he banned from a public meeting etc. The do the right thing and leave the CFO race NOW.

Thanks RPD a candidate for CFO

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Richard Paul Dembinsky said...

Now newspaper people surely can find all my spelling and typo errors.

This will given them candidate No. 3 CFO democrat to cut up and attempt to take out so Honorable Jeff Atwater has absolutely NO one to challenge him.

I will not be stopped by any Newspaper person or private website owner who bans ME from posting on his website to question his hobby of taking out William Rankin. (who is NO Saint)

Please Mr. William Rankin exit the CFO race as soon as possible so someone else can attempt to get through the Chaz Stevens website or be able to appreciate Brooke Knight or even Nancy Smith....Please give up and reconsider all YOUR words because they seem like something written by the Obama people.

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Richard Paul Dembinsky said...

There is a 7 year residency requirement for Florida Cabinet candidates; unfortunately the Division of Elections refuses to inform several of the new candidates for various offices.

Oh, I guess after the person is a candidate newspaper people will point out to several of the candidates that they have not lived in Florida for the past 7 years.

But unless someone goes to court to challenge a candidate about this stringent 7 year requirement....we will get new Florida residents believing they can run for Cabinet offices.

But then if we don't have democrats on the ballot maybe we could simply allow the republicans to continue unchallenged and get republicans doing things like recent stories about a republican incumbent having voted for $200,000,000 to her best friend's charity or something. This is why we need real democratic candidates for all offices.

Good Luck Democrats but Until President Obama is replaced all Florida democrats may want to just let the republicans have the store keys.

When William Rankin the only official democratic CFO candidate decided to help Obamacare by making a statement about it in his candidacy announcement....I knew his days were limited....NO one that is a democrat is proud of President Obama...especially over his poor handling of insurance.

The price of gasoline is going up again because our weak President.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home