Friday, June 07, 2013

Sunday Classics preview: What's the connection between these performances of the uplifting Allegretto from Beethoven's Seventh Symphony?

>



by Ken

Nothing fancy tonight. It's even music we've heard before: the always-uplifting Allegretto of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. We're just going to listen to two recordings, which actually have a connection, which we'll talk about in this week's Sunday Classics post. Clearly one of the performances is broader than the other, but I'm not going to say any more for now except that one of these Beethoven Seventh recordings achieved a certain infamy and a place in certain commentators' recorded Hall of Shame.

BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 7 in A, Op. 92:
ii. Allegretto

[A]

[B]


#

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous me said...

I loved that hauntingly beautiful piece when I first heard it in Zardoz, lo these many years ago. Years went by before I was able to identify it, and that discovery led me to a world of classical music (not that I'm any kind of expert).

Regarding these two performances, I have no idea which one is infamous or why. They're both very good. [A] is an older recording, so the sound quality is better on [B]. [A] has a slightly quicker tempo and a touch more emotional content.

If I had been involved with either of them, I'd be as pleased as Punch with myself. But a connection between the two? Nope, you got me on that one. (I could say that they both had the same composer, but that would be cheating.) I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

OK, here's one: One of the captcha words is "connection". Sorry, that's the best I can come up with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home