Thursday, June 06, 2013

The time has come to start counting our monthly WaPo pieces of content

>



by Ken

So now we know when (more or less) and how (give or take) the Washington Post will begin charging for access to its online content. The good news is that the paper will not limit our ability to search classified advertising, in case you were worried.

Publisher’s letter: How the paywall will work

By Katharine Weymouth, Published: June 5, 2013 at 10:00 am

On June 12, we will begin phasing in our metered subscription model. It will take us a few weeks to get everyone into the system, but doing that will allow us to ensure that you have the best possible experience.

Once the subscription service launches, you will initially be able to view 20 pieces of content per month before being asked to subscribe. We hope you will consider subscribing even if you don’t reach the limit; a subscription will provide unlimited access to all The Post’s world-class journalism, multimedia and interactive features and more. Importantly, you will also be helping to support our newsgathering operations.

Whether or not you subscribe, we will not limit your ability to view The Post’s homepage and section front pages, watch videos or search classified advertising. In addition, readers who come to The Post through search engines or shared links will be able to access the linked page regardless of the number of articles they have previously viewed.

Our digital packages will be priced at $9.99 per month for access to the desktop and mobile web only and $14.99 for an all-digital package which includes access to all of The Post’s custom apps. Home delivery subscribers will continue to have complimentary access to all of The Post’s digital products.

Over the coming months, we will learn more about how everything is working, listen to your feedback and modify our model accordingly. There is going to be a great deal of experimentation ahead to strike the right balance between ensuring access to critical news and information and building a sustainable business.
So, June 12 or whenever they get to us. We freeloaders will get 20 free "pieces of content" a month -- "initially." (So I assume that will soon enough be 10.) Or else we pay either $9.99/month or $14.99 with all the apps you can eat.)

I know no one gets this anytime I say it, but let me say it again: While I don't begrudge or even criticize the Post for going "paywall," I don't expect to be signing on. And let me once again stress that first part. Newspapers have to find a way of generating revenue from their online presence or they can't stay in business. Whether they can generate enough revenue to stay in business isn't clear, but giving away all the "content" doesn't seem like a sustainable business model even to this economic semi-literate.

That said, however, I still get to choose whether I start shelling out, and I don't see it happening. And if my NYT experience is anything to go by, I may not come all that close to using up my free pieces of content. Life is too short to spend it counting Chris Cillizza pieces of content.

For the record, I've never actually searched the Post's classified advertising. I might make that my new hobby, but I wouldn't count on it.
#

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger John said...

Is this some kind of curse: "You miserable WaPo piece of content!!!"

John Puma

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger KenInNY said...

I like it, John!

Cheers,
K

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous me said...

The formerly-great (40-50 years ago) Washington Post is now just another right-wing rag.

Pay money to read that shit?? They must be crazy. I'd pay something to have them go bankrupt, or to convert them to a respectable paper.

I think they'll have as much luck getting people to pay for their garbage as Murdoch does getting people to pay for Fox.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Institutions like those don't exist to make money directly. They exist to manipulate public opinion, so their owners can make money in other ways.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Dennis Jernberg said...

All the local papers around Seattle have gone behind paywalls too. It's the future of a dying industry, alas. So I don't read newspaper articles online anymore. Not that I'm actually missing anything...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home