Monday, February 13, 2012

Trevor Thomas, Michigan Grassroots Hero, Will Go Head To Head With A Crackpot Teabagger

>



Heartbreaking story, above, by Rachel Maddow about how Michigan Governor Rick Snyder is decimating democracy in his state. Ten minutes after I watched it I got a heads up from Trevor Thomas, the grassroots activist in Grand Rapids who we urged to run against Tea Party extremist Justin Amish in Michigan's 3rd CD. He had come to a decision. It may not be one that Rick Snyder-- not to mention Justin Amash-- will be too enthusiastic about, but it's one that should give progressives a reason to cheer. I asked Trevor to write a guest post for DWT. Before you read it, while you're reading it, or after you've read it, please consider helping a proven young grassroots champion get his congressional campaign off to a solid start. You can contribute here at our ActBlue page.

Let’s Stand Up, Enough Is Enough

-by Trevor Thomas


My name is Trevor Thomas. Some of you I know from the progressive fights we’ve worked on together and some of you are hearing my name for the very first time.

Today I filed to run for Congress in Michigan’s 3rd District. Let me tell you why.

I’m originally from a small town in western Michigan called Marne. I was raised in a working class family. My parents-– who worked for 30 years each on the assembly lines of General Motors-– taught me the values of hard work, family, and playing by the rules.

I was the first in my family to attend college. Some of my fondest memories are working nights at our local television station, WOOD-TV 8, to put myself through school at a state university, meeting the people and covering the issues that represent what West Michigan is all about.

Back when I was growing up, this wasn’t the most progressive part of the country, but things are changing. The demographics are younger, and people are looking for a reason to believe in their government again.

For 10 years, I’ve stood up for fairness, equality, and opportunity, progressive values that I believe are worth fighting for. But for too long, my hometown and the communities in Michigan’s Congressional 3rd District haven’t had someone to fight for them.

It’s no secret Michigan has been hardest hit by our struggling economy and our lawmakers in Washington continue to play politics with our future. Michigan was the only state in the nation to lose population, per the 2010 Census, and too many were under the age of 35. I know from experience what it’s like to hone your talents in new places, away from your hometown, but fewer and fewer of those young people are coming back.

This is about our future. Our parents’ generation helped put the world on wheels, and now it is our time to fight for fairness, equality, and opportunity for all of us.

I’ve worked on campaigns in the past, and know well that every election is said to be the most important of our lifetimes. But I truly believe that 2012 will be a critical moment. Our economy is recovering, but not fast enough. Culture and class wars threaten our progress. Women are under attack, in our nation and in Michigan.

We need members of Congress who aren’t afraid to take the tough votes and who stand by our progressive values.

I have a record of doing just that, most recently working to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” I’ve spent my life working to raise up the voices of those who haven’t been heard and who haven’t had a fair shot at opportunity-– and that’s what this campaign is all about.

In my launch video, below, I explain more about my vision for this campaign as I drive past the places in West Michigan where I grew up.

I don’t expect it to be easy. We’re going to have to work hard. But, we’re putting together a great team. And we’re asking everyone who believes in what we’re trying to tweet for us, tag us on Facebook, give what you can to help us get started, and tell their friends. Already, the Washington Post mentioned our race as something “you shouldn’t miss.”

This is our moment, and our country is watching. The future is up to us.

-Trevor

PS: I'm going to be reading your comments and responding as much as I can, so please feel free to give me your thoughts.


Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trevor, Thank you for running! I am glad to see the Blue America network supporting you.

I've donated!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Trevor said...

Anonymous, thank you! Please know it means the world to me. Please keep in touch and be sure to sign up for our email list -- it's important. Take care and thank you again, Trevor

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Arknative said...

Trevor:

Best of luck! We in the Aden campaign here in AR-03 are getting a tremendous response. We have been banging away at our TP guy since Sept and are beginning to make headway. We've done door to door in the 'Heart of the Beast,' Benton Co,AR and the response has been incredibly positive! People are hungry for a populist message. The Ryan Plan has really hurt the incumbent here. You can buy Ken a beer after the swearing in ceremony!

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trevor:
I am a 61 year old woman,living in Pa. I pray that your family, friends and citizens of Michigan will flock to your positive campaign. I applaud you. Thank you for your courage.See you in Washington,Congressman Trevor Thomas. God Bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home