Friday, May 06, 2011

Sunday Classics preview: What is Larry David doing conducting Wagner outside some guy's house?

>


In the "Trick or Treat" episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David winds up conducting Wagner outside the home of his neighbor Walter who has, shall we say, wound him up.

by Ken

It's a sort of famous Hollywood legend, of which (for reasons I hope will become clear) I was trying to refresh my ancient recollection: a piqued Groucho Marx hiring the Los Angeles Philharmonic to play Wagner's Meistersinger Prelude outside the home of . . . well, somebody or other (that's one of the things I couldn't recall), a somebody who had done something-or-other (another thing I couldn't recall) to get on his bad side. So I started rummaging around online, and stumbled across a page posted online from Otto Friedrich's City of nets: a portrait of Hollywood in the 1940's, containing a version of the story which we'll read in the click-through.

Bur first a quick reminder of what the "Trick or Treat" episode was about:




NOW, FOR OTTO FRIEDRICH'S VERSION OF THE
GROUCHO STORY, AND SOME MUSIC, CLICK HERE

#

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home