Saturday, January 23, 2010

10 for 2010-- Marriage Equality Lives In The Golden State

>


-by Christian Schneider

This weekend in California, Restore Equality 2010 is launching a statewide event, called 10 for 2010. Volunteers from across the state will be meeting in their communities for training to be leaders and for signature gathering. RE2010 needs to collect 1 million signatures in about 100 days to put Marriage Equality back on the Ballot in 2010.

This weekend is the ramp up event for Feb 6th, where thousands of volunteers from across the state will come together with the goal of collecting over 100,000 signatures in one day.

How did I get involved in all of this? I guess it started working with Jim Neal as his Field Director in the 08 Democratic Primary race against now Senator Kay Hagan from North Carolina. Jim was also an openly gay man. I never saw Jim as a "gay" candidate, I saw him as the best candidate. And now, I don't consider him my "gay" friend, he is just my friend. On that campaign he taught me a valuable lesson which I have repeated time and time again. "Vote for what you want, not what you think you can get." 

I moved out to California recently to be closer to my family. I was hoping to try to settle into a "normal" life and leave campaigning behind me for a bit. Then I came across RE2010 and their story was compelling. RE2010 is a statewide grassroots organization of volunteers and a coalition of organizations who are dedicated to restoring equality in 2010 because they believe Californians shouldn't have to wait to be considered equal.

I agree with them, no one should have to wait to be considered Equal. The time is now to be visible and outspoken. Whether this goes to the ballot in 2010 in 2012 or gets decided in the courts, we need a strong visible movement now. I believe you have to keep banging into the wall of discrimination until you knock it down. You can never wait for it to just fall down by itself. 

So we will be hitting the streets this weekend to fight for Equality and we need your help. Let us show you through our work that this is possible. Jim Neal has made a pledge of $1 for every volunteer who shows up to be trained on today and will pledge to raise matching funds of 10 dollars of every donation today. Will you match his donation? Every dollar makes a difference. As I mentioned this is a grassroots movement and we need to properly support our volunteer program. Join us in making history.

UPDATE: Special DWT Bonus Today

The first dozen donors today-- who give at least $25 to Restore Equality 2010 here at ActBlue will get a "thank you" from DWT in the form of a double CD package, Quixotic by Matt Keating. (If you want to donate but don't want us to send the 2-CD set, just add one penny to your contribution.)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger whymsycal said...

Heck, I didn't even know someone was trying for 2010. This is encouraging, I thought everyone just gave up. Thanks for the post! I'll make a donation just cause they're fighting back!!!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well done, Christian.

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are on the venice boardwalk today look for us.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what this campaign needs! Give it back to the grassroots. That's how we won against the Brigg's initiative when they tried to make it illegal for gays and lesbians to teach in schools. Restore Equality 2010 is doing it right and my friends and I support them. Keep up the good work guys. I'm collecting signatures too, so I'll see you on the streets!

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A poem for everyone who is and wants to be married.

From God's Lips to Yours Happy New Year!

At the calendar's turn past choice becomes clear
as our marriage strolls into its fourteenth year
that decision writ large wove a soft comfy throw
built a nimbly steered barge with its speed set at slow
with potential adversity more than offset
by inspired hilarities no doubt we'll have met
two idiosyncrasies set into stone
two radio frequencies sharing a bone
with two sets of families times two sets of friends
the occasional frenzy the holiday binge
the surfacing urges the personal dirges
skirting disasters and nursing the singe

It's someone to listen with two half-cocked ears
tears of anguish that glisten while craving some beers
the freedom of knowing our bread's always buttered
the solace each night of our bed partner's mutter
It's old faithful the geyser of love and respect
with a pool of concern if one just might defect
It's years of the same-old flow of life
that waters the hearts of each husband each wife
all deserve the chance of sharing this bliss
and to know it's street-legal to publicly kiss
in a world whose bright days are meant for all
Now good luck with whom you entangle enthrall

Either way it's expressive impulsive to care
a bit obsessive-compulsive this permanent share
a boon heart condition this terminal rendition
with pretenses that drop when you're out of ammunition
My disarming life is a moveable truce
a surrender to hope a set table a deuce
All who want it should be so blessedly mixed
to grow to enjoy that they're neutered and fixed
Though I joke and laugh I know that I'm blessed
as we learn and evolve and transform this fine mess
I wouldn't trade even a moment since my wedding
not even the sorrows nor for the hair I've been shedding
and certainly not the devotion of wedlock
especially through times of marital gridlock
For what is one egg compared to a basket's
Yes thank you I'm wedded till forced to my casket

Marriage is kindness stretched to infinity
with the marks to prove it just an amenity
no matter for whom you have an affinity
Your love is your personal God-given identity

Larry Piltz / The Rag Blog

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are having the wrong argument where in hell does the government have the right to regulate marriage it's not in the constitution for 1,000's of years the only control was the family or the couple moving in together maybe recording it the family bible people only had 1 name you where john the baker or fred son of george what ever who gave anyone the authority to interfere with the private lives of adults minors are a different case because still being people they need the protection by the community because of their age you did not need a license to marry ride a horse or a carriage this is none of any governments bussiness

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i ran into folks with clipboards twice on Saturday in San Diego. I might think they were pesky if I didn't like the cause

 

Post a Comment

<< Home