Friday, October 09, 2009

Sunday Classics preview: Can you identify the composer(s)?

>

by Ken

We have here two versions of the same little waltz, one for solo piano, the other for string quartet. Obviously one is an arrangement of the other, though not necessarily by the original composer. Your challenge is to guess the composer of the original version -- who, in case you hadn't guessed, is the subject of this week's Sunday Classics. Of course, you should also identify which version is the original.

For extra credit, identify the composer of the arranged version.

Here is the piano version:



And here is the string quartet version:


Of course we're hearing differences besides piano vs. string quartet. Our pianist hears the piece as a considerably fleeter whirl than our string quartet. I suppose I could have tried to find two performances that take roughly the same tempo, but I quite like the contrast. I think this is an amazingly wonderful bit of dashed-off genius, and the durability of the materials and workmanship is for me only underscored by the range of possibilities they create.

We'll have more clues tomorrow, though the mystery composer won't be identified before Sunday.


SUNDAY CLASSICS POSTS

Here is the current list.
#

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Balakirev said...

Schubert's the original, I think. No idea on the arrangement, but you know, it might be interesting to figure out just how many composers have arranged Schubert over the years. Even if you leave out the endless March Millitaires, it's a large number, with some unlikely candidates that include Liszt and Schoenberg.

Of course, if I'm wrong, carry on. :D

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous mimi said...

My guess is that the original version is the piano version. I would think that whoever the composer is would write a larger work for the strings, but short piano pieces are always in abundance for a composer who used the piano.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger ohnooooo! said...

weird but I also get a smetana or Dvorak feeling from this.
By the way, it's in A Major!
OK...I say DVORAK!!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger ohnooooo! said...

oops sorry, for some reason they changed my name...ohnoooo! is also mimi...

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Hmm, some interesting thinking going on here. I have a feeling you'll have it nailed with tonight's additional clues.

Ken

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger ohnooooo! said...

Sorry, I got mixed up...the first note is an A, the piece is in D Major!
(sorry, didn't mean to throw people off track)
Mimi

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger ohnooooo! said...

ack...ignore me...

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Balakirev said...

Yeah, it's not Schubert. It's Dvorak or Smetana, as ohnooo stated. I'm thinking Smetana. It's the harmonic progression in the bass line that makes me think that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home