Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Confidential to Wingnuttians: We realize you haven't heard the news, but REAL Americans believe that "all men are created equal"

>

[Click to enlarge]

by Ken

I'm still pretty steamed about a lot that happened in the course of the presidential campaign, but I suppose today isn't the day to dwell on it. Let's enjoy it a little.

Okay, so maybe we'll dwell just a little. And blame Tom Toles for bringing it up.

I didn't think I could be much more offended than I was by the McCranky campaign's invention of a distinction between "real Americans" and presumably some other, "unreal" kind, including the stupefying lie that only its presumed "real Americans" work for a living. How stupid and dishonest can you be? (Well, apparently, if you're the Princess Sarah, there's no cap on either category. You were born to have contempt for actual knowledge and to lie your fool head off.) But then there was that McCrankyite wingnut who proclaimed that equality isn't an American value, that it's more a French thing, whereas we go in for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

These people pretend to be the "real" Americans, and they don't even know our single most stirring and as well as most defining declaration, the Declaration of Independence? Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are of course "among" the rights (not the rights but among the "unalienable rights" with which we are endowed by our Creator in consequence of the "self-evident" truth "that all men are created equal."

There is no more inherently American value, and any wingnut doodyhead who doesn't know it might want to consider shutting the fuck up about what it means to be an American.

I'm just saying. (Okay, I've got that off my chest.)
#

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am incensed that the Proposal 8 passed in CA. I am also equally disturbed that many states voted to curtail rights of others. This is disgusting to me.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

No argument here, Teach, and I'm sure we'll be talking about this a lot more.

It's a built-in problem when people's basic rights get put to majority vote. Democracy isn't "majority rule," it's "majority rule with protection for minority rights," but majorities tend not to be especially protective of those rights.

It's an age-old witticism that the Constitutional amendments that make up the Bill of Rights would probably be voted down if they were put to a vote, and I'm fairly sure this is the case.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot more outrage to do something about it, and it's probably going to have to be done through the courts -- though what the courts can do in California post-Prop 8 isn't clear to me.

It is, in a word, a mess -- and the ugliest product of yesterday's voting.

Ken

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not agree more. We need to hire George Lakoff to frame the campaign to get this changed. Americablog was, I believe, talking about hiring professionals to get the job done. I thought it was an insightful piece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home