Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ashwin Madia Blog Day In Minnesota-- Let's Show Some Solidarity

>


When 9-term Republican Congressman Jim Ramstad (MN-03) decided to pack it in and retire from politics this year, he was doing a favor for the residents of the Hennepin County suburbs surrounding the twin cities. Ramstad isn't some kind of radical right extremist like bizarre neighbors John Kline and Michele Bachmann; he's a mainstream conservative in a moderate blue-trending district (PVI- R+1). Bush managed to win the district with 51% of the vote in 2004; in a rematch today he'd be lucky to break 30%. Ramstad's would-be successor, Erik Paulsen, is not a mainstream conservative; he's a far right extremist more in the Kline/Bachmann mold. Hennepin County Democrats/DFLers have nominated a far more suitable candidate, Ashwin Madia.

Minnesota bloggers are out raising funds for Ashwin today. It's Ashwin Media Blog Day. He deserves a hand-- and in a race that the polls show neck and neck, a hand is just what he needs. The Greenberg Quinlan Rosner poll of March 12 shows Ash and Paulson in a statistical dead heat. Right-wing PACs, Big Pharma, commercial banks, the Insurance Industry have all been pouring money into Paulson's campaign. Ash has managed to pretty much keep up thanks to grassroots and netroots efforts on his behalf. Paulson's biggest donor: Target Corp. Ash's: ActBlue.

A few weeks ago I spent some time on the phone with Ashwin and I was very impressed by an idealistic young man with a sharp mind a good solid sense of reality. The former Iraq-based Marine has strong leadership qualities that made me think he's not going to be a rubber stamp for devious Democratic Party bosses like Rahm Emanuel or Steny Hoyer. He'll be his own man, an independent voice for the folks who elect him. He was good on all the progressive issues I ask candidates about. But one surprised me-- his strong and outspoken support for equal rights for all Americans, including gays. Many Democrats, forever fearful of hate-filled Republicans and their media allies, skirt around "gay marriage" and wimp out, like Obama, with support for civil unions. Ashwin supports equality, not separate-but-equal formulations to appease bigots. Here's a statement he sent me after we got off the phone:
Ever since the start of my campaign, I have been reaching out to members of the LGBT community in Minnesota. That’s because I strongly believe in full equal rights for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans.
 
As a Marine Corps lawyer who served in Iraq, I was one of first attorneys to successfully defend a gay Marine from discrimination in the military. It wasn’t easy to stand in front of a jury made up of other U.S. Marines and argue against the military's bigoted and shameful "don't ask, don't tell" policy, but I was more than willing to do so. I would I would be proud to serve alongside anyone brave enough to put on the uniform.
 
As someone with a brother who is gay, I would advocate passionately for passage of a federal hate crimes law that recognizes the disproportionate number of threats on a daily basis faced by members of the LGBT community. Existing law already extends legal protections for a number of vulnerable minority communities. Every day that we do not have this protection, LGBT individuals remain at risk.
 
I support same-sex marriage and full equality under the law. Civil unions fall short and seem to be a way for politicians to avoid recognizing all people as equal.
 
Lastly, it is unacceptable that our nation continues to allow a form of discrimination to exist in the workplace based on a characteristic that is just as inherent as sex, race, or disability. I support efforts to prohibit job discrimination.
 
I’m running for an open seat which had been held by a moderate Republican. But my opponent, State Representative Erik Paulsen, has been a vehement opponent of equal rights for LGBT Minnesotans for more than a decade. He led the fight in 2004, and again in 2006, to write discrimination into the Minnesota state constitution. He even voted to prevent equal benefits from being provided to domestic partners of state employees even though many of Minnesota’s largest employers already have policies that promote equality.
 
I have been endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign and by Minnesota’s Stonewall DFL (Democrats). I hope you will consider supporting my campaign in the coming days and weeks. We need pragmatic problem solving not people who put their political ideology ahead of principles. It’s time for a few more patriots in Congress and a few less politicians.

This is the kind of leadership Americans need in a post-Bush era. Forget how you feel about gay rights for a moment. And, instead, think about how you feel about a candidate talking this way. You like? Here's the joint Minnesota bloggers ActBlue page-- and here's your introduction to Ash:




ASH TAKES ON HOLY JOE

May I recommend a post Ashwin did for today's Hill in which he slaps the taste out of arch-hypocrit Joe Liberman's mouth? Again, this is the kind of leader we need in Congress.
Today, the Republican Party announced that the loudest defender of status quo policies on Iraq, Senator Joe Lieberman, will be a prominent speaker at the Republican National Convention in my home state of Minnesota. Senator Lieberman and I do have one thing in common. We’ve both changed political parties. I left the Republican Party in 2002 after it replaced “balance our budget” with “borrow and spend” and after we started a war without a plan for success; a war we did not need.

With all respect to Senator Lieberman, talking tough about Iraq is not brave. Bravery is not demonstrated through words but instead through action.

I served for four years in the Marine Corps. While stationed in Baghdad, I worked with U.S. military and civilian officials, European Union and United Nations representatives and Iraqi judicial officers to build the Iraqi legal system. I was not a hero but I served with many heroes, some of the bravest people I’ve ever seen in my whole life. I saw bravery from my fellow Marines. I also worked with Iraqi judges who risked their lives every morning just to come to work.

It’s time for a little more bravery in Washington.

This war has cost us $600 billion so far with another $10 billion added to the tab every month. That’s in addition to a $9 trillion debt caused by reckless spending and irresponsible borrowing, making it harder for Minnesota’s families to afford gas, food and medicine.

Restoring fiscal responsibility includes a new direction for our foreign policy. That’s why I support a strategic and gradual withdrawal from Iraq that is done in a safe and responsible way.

There are a quite a few folks like me down at VFW Post 425 in Hopkins, Minnesota, where I’m a Member. And there’s millions more of us across the country who know that real patriotism means more than just bumper stickers, slogans, and cheers at a convention.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Thanks, Howie-- we Minnesotans need Ashwin Madia in Congress. Even though I don't live in his district, I received a phone call from Ash asking me for money (I suppose he got a list of Obama donors or something). He was so compelling and earnest I couldn't refuse. I think today I'll send a bit more his way, since my Congresswoman will cruise to her usual easy reelection.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger terisa.masu said...

i completely understand wat ur goin through. i am bisexual myself and i definately dont feel as if i am greedy or a freelover. shid i jus like men and some sexi ass women. my attraction for women right now is not how it used to be. i feel myself steering away from that for a while.
real bi http://FindBilover.com

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was fortunate to hear Ashwin speak at Netroots Nation. He is very impressive and will be a great asset in the House. I'll make a contribution today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home