Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin (1937-2008): Good-bye, George!

>

"The world is a big theater-in-the round as far as I'm concerned, and I'd love to watch it spin itself into oblivion. Tune in and watch the human adventure."
--the late George Carlin, who died of heart failure last night
at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, age 71


Oh, jeez.

"We're all fucked. It helps to know it."


IT SEEMED TOO SELF-SERVING TO POINT OUT . . .

But we were just talking about George, in connection with the announcement that the Kennedy Center has chosen him as this year's recipient of its Mark Twain Prize for lifetime achievement in comedy. There actually was a link up there, on the name "George Carlin." Here it is again.

Man, this sucks.
#

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this announcement at about 2:30 am when I could not sleep last night. I am so saddened. I had just watched an old Carlin special on Saturday and I believe we were talking about him at the moment of his passing on Sunday when we were in conversations about what was funny. That is odd. And, the special I watched on Saturday ended with him talking about the subject of death.

I will miss Carlin. To me he was the epitomy of comedy.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Thanks for sharing that, Teach. George talked a lot about death. He talked, and amazingly found humor in, all sorts of things most people -- not just comics -- would rather not talk about. I guess that's what people mean when they insist on describing him as "edgy," whatever that's supposed to mean.

As he himself said, age was an asset for him, and he was doing the best work of his career. It's nice that he was getting recognition for that work, but we still needed him much too badly.

I miss him already.

Ken

 

Post a Comment

<< Home