Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Inquiring Blogographer: Who do YOU think should be answering the phone at 3am?

>

Some of us here at DWT have been paying, um, less close attention than others to the hurly-burly of this presidential campaign. Which surely makes us--i.e., those of us who haven't been paying much attention--closer in spirit to the average voter.

As far as we can tell, the overriding issue seems to be something about answering phone calls, which we're not so crazy about either. After all, isn't it usually somebody demanding money from us, or trying to get us to change our phone service, or buy some shit we don't need or want?

Oh wait, come to think of it, wasn't it about answering a phone call at 3am? To get some kind of handle on the issue, we set up a lemonade stand alongside one of the Internet tubes and asked passersby who THEY thought should answer the phone at 3am. Here are some of the responses:

"In my experience, calls at that hour are almost always wrong numbers. I wouldn't answer at all. If the phone keeps ringing, I'd probably tell my husband to answer so I could get back to sleep."
--S.F., Kenosha, Wisconsin

"I think the question is in extremely poor taste. The last time I got a call in the middle of the night, it was one of my 88-year-old mother's doctors in Florida, telling me that she had fallen and broken her hip and was going to have to have extremely risky hip-replacement surgery. I don't find anything amusing about the subject."
--D.R., Portland, Maine

"At that hour I would just let the machine pick up. It's usually one of the kids calling from school to ask for money."
--R.T., La Jolla, California

"I don't see any problem. I'm pretty sure Hillary's going to get to the phone first, since she'll figure it's probably about one of Bill's floozies--if not one of the actual floozies herself, calling drunk at some all-night party. I'm guessing she's answered her share of those calls over the years."
--C.D., Youngstown, Ohio

"Obama. But don't quote me."
--W.J.C., Chappaqua, New York

"Has everyone forgotten that the phone call about 9/11 didn't come at 3am? It came while our president was trying his feeble best to read The Pet Goat to a bunch of schoolkids who surely should have been reading it to him."
--L.A., Vero Beach, Florida

"Oh, you mean like in the White House? Don't they have like operators on duty to answer calls all night?"
--N.F., Boulder, Colorado

"My good friend John McCain. I wouldn't trust any of the Democratic candidates."
--J.L., Washington, D.C.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger DownWithTyranny said...

Yeah, as my friend Harry said this morning, McCain is the most likely to be up at 3AM... trying to pee.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Jimmy the Saint said...

Harry? Don't you mean Bill Maher?

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still want Monica Lewinsky to answer my call...

Although the visual of Lieberfraud sleeping next to McFeeble, so he get's it right, is TELLING- I am sure Monica will be able to serve me with much greater competence (and without having Lieberfraud watching) at 3am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home