Wednesday, August 15, 2007

OBAMA MAKES HIS CASE

>

"There's so much I can teach you."

Last night my pal Matt said that the Democratic primary battle is the 2008 presidential election. There may not even be a majority of Republicans that think Bush should get a third term-- and each of the pathetic pygmies™ has offered a vision of nothing more of less than exactly that: four more nightmarish years. Among American voters, possibly even southern voters, that's a no go.

The least trustworthy pundits and DC Establishment Insiders-- the crew that helped usher in 8 years of Bushism-- have gathered round Hillary. Either they feel she is the weakest Democrat-- one who will enable Republicans to hold on to red House districts and some of the iffy Senate seats-- like a Texas, North Carolina or Oklahoma, if not a Minnesota, Maine or Colorado, which are already lost to Republicans, and/or they feel she will be the Democrat most likely to govern in their interests. Far more than Obama or the born-again Edwards, she is, after all, one of them, maybe even more so than Bush, who got a little carried away.

Dan Balz, in this morning's Washington Post, explores the sharp contrasts between Hillary and her closest rival, Obama. He spent time talking with Obama in New Hampshire and reports that the Democrat who at least appears to be offering the freshest vision of a new America says he "has the capacity she may lack to unify the country and move it out of what he called 'ideological gridlock.'"
"I think it is fair to say that I believe I can bring the country together more effectively than she can," Obama said. "I will add, by the way, that is not entirely a problem of her making. Some of those battles in the '90s that she went through were the result of some pretty unfair attacks on the Clintons. But that history exists, and so, yes, I believe I can bring the country together in a way she cannot do. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be running... "Her argument is going to be that 'I'm the experienced Washington hand,' and my argument is going to be that we need to change the ways of Washington. That's going to be a good choice for the American people."

Obama then went where most Democrats are petrified to go-- but should. He does acknowledge that President Bill Clinton was good for America-- and compared to the Bushes on either side of him, he was-- but adds "The question is, moving forward, looking towards the future, is it sufficient just to change political parties, or do we need a more fundamental change in how business is done in Washington...? Do we need to break out of some of the ideological battles that we fought during the '90s that were really extensions of battles we fought since the '60s?"

One of Clinton's vicious Inside the Beltway attack dog hacks, Howard Wolfson, immediately went after Obama. He is likely to be joined by all the Clintonian insiders, from job seekers like windbag and would-be Secretary of State Joe Biden to the Beltway punditocracy and lobbyists who are all firmly in the Hillary camp. My guess is that it's too late to stop Hillary from winning the nomination and the presidency but I wish Obama well. I think he'd make a better president. So would Edwards. Hillary? Better than Bush or any of the pathetic pygmies™.

Is she a captive of the Beltway Establishment? I have no iron clad proof she is but my gut sure tells me so. And Obama? Well, there's some chance, despite the fact that Lieberman was his mentor, that he's not going to be as beholden to them and at one with them as the Clintons have long been.
"The insurance and drug companies can have a seat at the table in our health-care debate; they just can't buy all the chairs," he said. "My argument is not that they are the source of all evil. My argument is that things are out of balance in Washington and that their influence is disproportionate."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is time for Obama and Edwards to join, to negotiate with Bill Richardson to be Secretary of State and to create a Department of Peace to be headed by Kucinch. I don't know which one should be the presidential candidate but I think the bully pulpit would be best served by Obama. I also think that Edwards could be in charge of Health, Labor and FEMA, to oversee that they are cleaned up and work to benefit all Americans, and to get the Education monies away from Bush cronies while scrapping No Child Left Behind, which Lehrer reports are demonstrating does not work.

If they wait much longer to unite, the media will have crowned Hillary. They are terrific candidates and we need both of them. I've written this to Joe Trippi at Edwards 4 President but I don't give enough money to have anyone respond.

I also think they need Gravel to help clean up the department of defense, not to run it but to advise. He is an economist and a gutsy one at that.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger skaterina said...

wow, just the idea of this, cando, cheers me up / so far i only have donated to John Edwards and will continue to do so / Obama doesnt seem to need any money so i will give what i spare to a local lad who recently suffered paralyzing injuries and,oc, has no health insurance

no, let's do what we can to keep Hillary from the nomination

and Oh Barack was in my state recenly / the reddest of the red states / a large crowd turned out for him and this was unforeseen

Katherine Hunter

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

skaterina, Thanks for responding. Can somone with clout talk to these two terrific candidates about getting together sooner than later. First, they would control the runaway media and two, they would stop the Hillary surge if there really is one. I think Edwards and Obama would be an unbeatable team and if they combined forces sooner than later, they would demonstrate that their egos are not as large of some running in the Republican race or as large as Hillary's.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Caoimhin Laochdha said...

As an Edwards supporter, I do not get any satisfaction out of saying this. Obama has been the front runner all summer and the nomination is his to lose.

Senator Clinton will evaporate. Her support is weak and she will not make it to the convention. I write this in the comments every month or so to remind you, Howie, because I don't know whether you actually believe Senator Clinton is winning or whether you are just trying to get us to work harder for our other chosen candidates.

Senator Clinton does not have the Democratic support she needs to win the nomination. She was canceled out long ago.

If I am wrong (I'm not) the next time you are in Vermont, we can film a video of me extolling your supreme prognostication skills while I also acknowledge that I am the most clueless SDLP'er in the Worcester Mountains. We'll film it after I buy you dinner and you can post it on YouTube and this blog along with this comment.

None of the Democratic candidates have adequately (least of all Senator Clinton) come out and demanded the electorate accept their campaigns as a referendum for, and a vote for them in the general election to mean a mandate to:

1. a revolution in health care policy that means decoupling access to health with employment;

2. infrastructure investment;

3. taxing dead people and consumption rather than working people;

4. ending the war and U.S. militarism; and

5. putting a federal judiciary in place that protects the liberties of citizens instead of just the rights rights of the wealthiest corporations and the most outrageous abuses of unchecked government.

-- and this is minimal first step action at best.

I am frustrated by Senator Obama's feel good campaign of limited substance and am concerned that he is not preparing and educating the voters, the media and the partisans about what needs to happen when a Democrat becomes President in 2009.

My hope for the few short remaining months is that Senator Obama finds his voice and commits to radical and fundamental reforms or that Senator Edwards catches fire. I'm not too confident of either at this point, but I do know that Senator Clinton will not be the nominee.

You heard it here - again.

sláinte,
cl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home