Saturday, September 09, 2006

Quote of the day: Peyton and Eli Manning's mom explains why she'll probably be keeping her distance from husband Archie tomorrow night

>

"Archie can make me nervous. Cooper is the family clown. Every family should have one. Whatever happens, I know he'll make me laugh. I know I'll have butterflies, but I'm planning on this being fun."
--Olivia Manning, explaining why she'll probably be sitting with her oldest son rather than her husband tomorrow night at Giants Stadium when the Indianapolis Colts, quarterbacked by middle son Peyton, meet the New York Giants, quarterbacked by youngest son Eli

"There was a time," Olivia told the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Peter Finney, "when Archie would be at a Newman [high school] game on Friday, a Tennessee game [during Peyton's college years] on Saturday and a Saints game on Sunday, when he was part of the broadcast team. One of us, usually both of us, have been to every football game our sons have played in going back to high school. . . . "

"I've had the same butterflies watching a high school game, a college game, a professional game. . . .

"I'm going to be sitting there Sunday, wrapped up in all the buzz, all the big-city hoopla. And I'm sure I'm going to have a tug of the heart just thinking about where it all began, thinking back to those Friday nights, watching Cooper, Peyton and Eli [seen here in a not-terribly-recent family photo] play for Newman. Sunday will be special. No doubt about it. But I don't know if anything can beat all those Friday nights looking at schoolboys grow up."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home