Thursday, September 07, 2006

I CAN PROMISE THAT THIS WILL BE MY LAST KATHERINE HARRIS POST OF THE DAY

>


I think it was just a day or two ago that I promised not to write about Florida again until the results of Katherine Harris' hilarious race against Bill Nelson come in. But, as Ken has pointed out over and over, I'm obsessed with this race. It isn't just because Harris is such a compellingly abysmal candidate-- or maybe just a garden variety Repug with a lot more spotlight shining. No, when it comes right down to it, all the wars, deaths, terror, corruption, hardships, all the systemic damage done to our government and our nation under Bush can all be laid at the feet of... Katherine Harris' calculated corruption in giving Bush Florida's unearned electoral votes in 2000.

So, it is with some degree of gratification that I read a statement from Florida Republican Senate candidate Peter Monroe yesterday. Monroe came in third in the GOP primary that Harris won. He blamed "name recognition," which he says "no matter how unfavorable, trumped substance and character. As Governor Jeb Bush has maintained all along, and as I relied upon in joining this race, Harris has little chance against Bill Nelson."

Monroe has no intention of supporting Krazy Kathy or even voting for her. He thinks she's absolutely toxic for the Republican Party and toxic for America. What he doesn't understand, although he should, is that she is the Republican Party. A plurality of Republican voters-- over 49% the last time I looked-- voted to have her as their Senate nominee... after months of revelations about character flaws, corruption, mental instability, anti-Semitism, after months of warnings from the Republican establishment, after a contemptible voting record in Congress. There's no getting around it now: Krazy Kathy is the heart and soul of the Florida GOP.

I have been a Republican all my life. I have loyally served two Republican Presidents in running two multibillion dollar agencies-- saving hundreds of billions of dollars in the process. To date, I have supported all Republican nominees. I fully and enthusiastically support Charlie Christ, Bill McCollum and Tom Lee.

However, I cannot support Katherine Harris as the Republican Party's nominee. Her anti-Semitic statements made to the Florida Baptist Witness were the last straw in a string of misdeeds during our race. They are indicative of a person who is unfit to serve in public office. I can't blindly support a nominee who has shown a complete disregard for the US Constitution and fundamental civil rights. As I have recently said, Katherine Harris should resign from Congress now. She is an embarrassment to Florida, the Republican Party, our nation, and herself. Given our party's heritage, I am disappointed that state and national Republican Party officials have condoned her statements by their silence.

I urge Republicans to focus their political energy on all other Republican candidates at the state and local level in Florida, as I will.

We need strong leadership in Tallahassee and Congress. I know that I will support Charlie Crist, Bill McCollum and Tom Lee in November. They are the ones who will be really leading our ticket in November, not Katherine Harris.



UPDATE: JEB TO KRAZY KATHY-- "THANKS FOR HANDING GEORGE THE WHITE HOUSE BUT YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN, GIRL"

I thought the Bush Crime Family was built on loyalty. Apparently so did Krazy Kathy Harris. But... Jeb says he's not getting off his fat ass to help her doomed senate race.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howie:

Good post. The problem that Mr. Monroe won't recognize (or if he does, he won't admit it) is that the party WANTS idiots like Katherine Harris running, no matter what hateful crap comes spewing from her piehole. Why? I believe that as long as she touts the religious right's viewpoint, she is the kind of candidate they can rely on.

I see it this way...if the left attack her speeches made before the baptists, the right wing fires back with "See, the left HATE devout Christians." She is PERFECT for their agenda. Honorable folks like Peter Monroe make the mistake many make regularly, which is to put faith in a party over the good of the country as a whole.

Until righties realize that the folks they continue sending to Washington are making them poorer and destroying their kid's futures with unnecessary wars and bad economic policies, we will continue along the same path that elected GW Bush. The same mentality of "if I can drink a beer with him, he's alright by me!"

Time to go back to voting for the BEST candidate available and holding these people RESPONSIBLE the minute the screw up. Problem with that is I don't see it happening until the S**t truly hits the fan :(

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger LarryJay said...

I simply call her Cruells deHarris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home