Saturday, December 17, 2005

DOWN WITH TYRANNY IS GETTING ON THE MARRAKECH EXPRESS

>


In a few minutes I'm closing up the DWT Los Feliz editorial office for a few weeks while I get some r&r in Morocco. I started going there in 1969, loved it and have been going back ever since. The photo of me on a camel was taken a few years ago when Roland and I were wondering what it would be like to traverse the Sahara for 40-50 days to Timbuctou. After one day and one night with our camels we decided we'd wait 'til Timbuctou builds a reliable airport someday. This trip will be a lot less adventurous-- just Tangier, Fez, Marrakech, Essouira and Casablanca (and Casa just to catch our planes home and to eat at my favorite restaurant in Africa, the incredibly delicious Port du Peche).

I don't know how much blogging I'm going to get to do from over there-- if any (I'm not even bringing my laptop; just an iPod shuffle)-- but thank goodness Ken has volunteered, more or less, to keep the blog going while I'm away-- with some help from Helen and Isaac. At the rate they've been going, the art department will have something ready for me to put up when I get back in January.

Meanwhile, enjoy this awesome piece about the odious Ann Coulter from a fellow L.A.-blogger (but not if you're easily offended). Happy HOLIDAYS!!!!

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger RJB said...

Great stuff and good writing here. I just linked to one of your posts on Duncan Hunter. Adding you to our blogroll at Words Have Power.

Keep it up. Have a great trip to Morocco.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great trip. You're going to miss Fitzmas.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can find a lot of advantures in Marrakech. When you are there, visit Djemaa el Fna, it is not only Africa’s busiest square but also home to the souk – Morocco’s busiest marketplace. During the day, Djemaa el Fna throbs to the rhythm of traditional instruments being played, snake charmers, dancing boys, magicians, acrobats, water carriers and storytellers, who combine to create a magical atmosphere. The souk, meanwhile, is a heady mix of sights, sounds and smells, where you can pick up everything from handmade leather goods and sportswear to jewellery, watches and furniture. The stall owners are friendly and, frequently, charming – bartering with them is a sport in itself. The authorities are very much aware of the city’s tourist pull and, although it may be respectful for women to cover up a little more than they might in other destinations, the area is well policed and the locals used to tourists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home