Sunday, December 18, 2016

Serious about putting out the absolute minimum effort? Again, Dilbert's Wally is our inspiration

>

DILBERT     by Scott Adams




-- December 18, 2016

by Ken

I've never shied away from the embarrassing reality that Dilbert's Wally is my guy. Not so much a role model, perhaps -- who has the courage to carry slacking to that extent as a life principle? -- as perhaps an inspiration, a dream soulmate. So I confess to mild surprise that in this saga Wally has been so slipshod as to present his doctor's note in what is recognizable even to the Pointy-Haired Boss as his own handwriting.

But then, I guess in Wally's World, where the governing principle is to put out the absolute minimum effort to every task, the operative test for what we might call "necessary authenticity" as applied to the note would be: Is it good enough? And the concluding panel suggests that, at least in Wally's mind, it appears to be.
#

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not "is it good enough", but "is it at least not as bad as..." is our national motto for elections.

Not a single candidate since Carter passes the former test.

So, talk about min effort. That is what americans have been expending in elections for 4 decades. Let the media, pols and clergy tell us what to think so we don't have to do the hard work doing it ourselves.

Why haven't 100 million voters marched and burned precinct offices over this:
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/ken-carman/70329/inspection-post-election-notes-for-bernie-and-hillary-supporters

Because marching and protesting and CARING is just too fucking hard.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Hiroshi said...

Scott Adams is an outspoken libertarian blogger. I'm surprised that you're featuring his work here.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Hiroshi, if the work is good, as I believe DILBERT is, both entertaining and insightful, why would Scott Adams's politics prevent me from appreciating, enjoying, and -- yes -- reposting it? Can you explain, for example, the political disqualification applicable to this Sunday strip? Or, for that matter, any of the many other DILBERT strips I've shared? (You can check them out by clicking on the tag.)

Or maybe you were saying you were surprised in a good way to find DILBERT shared here? I don't think that's what you meant, but I would be a lot happier if it were!

I do appreciate your raising the issue, though, because I think it's a significant one. I just come down emphatically on the other side of it! I'm interested in content, not labels.

Cheers,
K

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Hiroshi said...

Georgia Pacific makes good toilet paper. I don't buy it and encourage my friends not to, either. Why? In a small way, purchasing Quilted Northern enables Charles and David Koch to have an outsized negative influence on our national conversation.

Have you read Scott Adams' blog and twitter feed? Content aside, he's not a gifted social media figure. Without Dilbert, he wouldn't be able to sustain the following he has.

I didn't know you regularly featured his strips and should have poked around further before commenting. I arrived here via the Blue America link. They seem out of place in that context.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home