Tuesday, November 04, 2008

By One Blog Post

>

Darcy Burner voted this morning-- pic courtesy of NPI

Lately, every time Roland comes over after work he says something to the effect of "Jesus, you look like a wreck." And I do. I haven't shaved in weeks and my hair is an overgrown horror show. After I swim in the morning and hike I don't get away from my computer until it's a dire necessity-- and for as short a time as I can. I mean what if Darcy Burner or Larry Kissell or Alan Grayson or Jeff Merkley loses by one... blog post!

Today is very calm. Everything's pretty much done-- at least as far as what I can do. I just got back from voting. Ten machines, no real line to speak of, very smooth and easy. I decided to drive to my barbershop and get a haircut. Slow day, unless you want to bother with the psychopaths. On the way I passed two polling places in poor neighborhoods with huge lines down the street. I didn't get a shave; I want the beard so I have even a chance of getting into the closed-to-the-infidels ancient mud mosque in Djenne when I visit Mali in a few weeks.

Other than voting and the haircut, the most useful thing I did today was register my cell phone so that telemarketers can't call it. The Do Not Call Registry is at 888-382-1222. It takes 60 seconds to complete.

Biggest news so far today comes from someone I rarely admire but who sure rubbed some shit in the far right's face today.
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday defended the so-called Fairness Doctrine in an interview on Fox News, saying, “I think we should all be fair and balanced, don’t you?”

Schumer’s comments echo other Democrats’ views on reviving the Fairness Doctrine, which would require radio stations to balance conservative hosts with liberal ones.

Another Democrat I don't always see eye to eye with is Dianne Feinstein, who explained it even better: “I believe very strongly that the airwaves are public and people use these airwaves for profit. But there is a responsibility to see that both sides and not just one side of the big public questions of debate of the day are aired and are aired with some modicum of fairness.”

Yes, as Bush reminded us, there are consequences to elections. That's democracy.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now, I've been saying that about the Fairness Doctrine for years. It's essential to get that back in place; if not, Obama's administration is going to be knifed to by the hate radio legion and Faux News with every decision they take. So does this mean that those Dems are signaling what's going to come, or only that's a counter on the table for something else? I'm hoping for 1, but figuring 2 is more likely. We'll see.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"After I swim in the morning and hike I don't get away from my computer until it's a dire necessity-- and for as short a time as I can."
... How is this different than any other day???
:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home