Monday, February 05, 2007

SWEAR OFF SNICKERS AND JUNK CANDY TODAY-- FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH AND YOUR COUNTRY'S

>


Today we all owe a giant round of applause-- and a sincere debt of thanks-- to a blogger who accomplished something incredible. John Arovosis runs one of the most influential blogs in Washington, AMERICAblog and when I checked it this morning I was at first incredulous and then sickened by a report he had written. I gave up eating candy bars many years ago-- they cause cancer-- but I remember Mars bars and Snickers bars and I'm aware that the Mars family is an exceedingly vicious bunch of partisan neo-fascists who help fund this country's extreme right-- in avery substantial way. Now I didn't watch the Super Bowl yesterday but Arovosis did. His report is on an advertisement run on the Super Bowl by Snickers.

The ad is not just blatantly homophobic; it very much advocates extreme violence towards gay people. Rather than describe it, I urge you to click that clinl above and check out John's story. And there's a happy ending. John doesn't just blog his life away. He knows how to use a phone as well. Within hours of alerting the blogging community about the Snickers ad, he had contacted several civil rights organizations and prodded the Human Rights Campaign to contact the Mars company. By the end of the day, Mars had pulled down the violently homophobic website they were using as a key part of their expensive Super Bowl campaign, a campaign that promoted eating the cancer-causing candy and stoking the fires of bigotry and hatred.

Today John Arovosis, a citizen activist, fought a battle against the Machine and he won the battle. For all of us. And for our country.

8 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Nell said...

Suggestion: go back to upper and lower case for headlines.

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Grandma Deb said...

I enjoy your blog and agree with about 98% of what you say. This is part of the 2%. It was harmless and hilarious.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Milt Shook said...

I watched the Super Bowl and saw the commercial, and I must admit I had a strange reaction to it. I don't necessarily agree that it encourages violence against gays, but it certainly demonstrates the intensity of the homophobia in this country; that is what's frightening.

Now, as you know, I'm not gay, and have never had any inclination in that direction. But I have never felt the need to reinforce my "manhood" by engaging in "manly" events. Neither accidentally touching body parts with a guy, or accidentally glimpsing some other guy's penis has never made me feel like "less of a man," and the implication that homosexuality somehow makes a man "less manly" is the offensive implication of this commercial.

When are we going to grow up, and realize that what you do in the bedroom does NOT define who you are, no matter your sexual orientation.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe my response when I saw that commercial was "Oh, that is NOT good."

It is NOT funny to make fun of others, it really isn't. And, now that it is becoming mainstream we wonder why there is so much bullying and violence in the world.

It is always harmless fun when it is NOT at your expense. This is why the GOP thinks they can bully Dems. on the issues surrounding the GLB population.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Karim said...

When I saw this, I was incensed, it's disgusting.

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd suggest getting over yourself. A commercial is an attempt to create brand awareness, not a social referendum.

Further, there's no reason to try to distort reality by making inflammatory statements such as "it very much advocates extreme violence towards gay people" and "a campaign that promoted eating the cancer-causing candy and stoking the fires of bigotry and hatred" when you know perfectly well that you're being untruthful.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Marc, you're right, the almighty dollar and the pursuit of it does trump anything else. Sheesh, I almost forgot what country I lived in.

Christ!! You can rape people and you can kill people, but for God sake never touch the money.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here here. to the last comment.
pats on the back and candy bars all around. preferribly mars bars and snickers :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home