Saturday, May 23, 2020

Endorsement Alert In Wisconsin: Jacob Malinowski For Assembly

>


Jacob Malinowski just turned 22 and he's running for the state Assembly in his hometown, Greendale, Wisconsin. He's officially in Generation Z, and is one of the youngest people running for office in Wisconsin. If elected, he'd be going from the Greendale School Board to the legislature in Madison, replacing a GOP incumbent who has never faced a serious challenger and represents everything wrong with politics-- he's a rubber stamp for party leaders and ignores his Milwaukee County constituents and can’t be bothered to participate in important votes. Blue America endorsed Jacob today and added him to our tiny list of state legislative candidates who we think will make significant contributions to progressive politics even beyond the offices they're seeking today.

Investing In Candidates Under 30?
by Jacob Malinowski


36% of Wisconsin’s population is under the age of 30, but in the State Assembly, that number is only 3%. Wisconsinites are being let down by partisan politics because they’re not being fairly represented-- and I’m here to change that.

The people in power love to act as gatekeepers: they’re not interested in anyone who doesn’t look exactly like them getting involved in the process. I have been ignored, dismissed, and outright condescended to by Democrats and Republicans alike simply because I might be the youngest person in the room. “Wait your turn,” they say. “You don’t have any real experience.”

The issues facing our country-- climate change, partisan gridlock, and the rising costs of living for the middle and working class-- don’t affect only a certain age bracket. In fact, my whole life is ahead of me; I’ll be dealing with these issues for at least the next sixty years. Politicians always say they want to help “future generations,” maybe they should also include them. When will it be my turn?

I’m running in the place I’ve lived in my entire life, and my life experience is like that of so many of the people in my district. I come from a middle-class household; my dad is a carpenter and his dad owned a union shop in Milwaukee. I graduated from the public schools in my district and I worked three different service jobs-- including one at McDonald’s for $7.25/hour-- to pay for college. I know what it’s like to actually face the realities of 2020 in my district. What experience could be more real than that?

Wisconsin used to be a place of bipartisan cooperation: from “Fighting Bob” La Follette to Russ Feingold, politicians in Wisconsin have a rich history of putting people first. I grew up in a bipartisan household, and I was raised to believe that when people disagree, they should sit down and talk it out. Young people are the least likely group to care about partisanship, and I’m campaigning on a people-first vision. Our plans-- from tuition-free technical school to lower healthcare costs for seniors-- focus on real solutions for real people.

Young people also run incredible campaigns. During COVID-19, political campaigns will simply not be able to operate normally. I’ve had a Facebook account since I was ten years old, and a Twitter since I was 14-- young people know how to effectively and authentically communicate online. My campaign is data-driven and research-backed, and just like when I’m elected, I won’t be complacent and do something simply because “that’s the way it’s always been done.” When young people run for office, they innovate, work tirelessly, and truly care about the people they’re trying to represent.

Young people are a good investment. They run lean and efficient campaigns: every time you give them a dollar, you can trust it won’t be wasted. Younger candidates can drive turnout for other candidates because they excite voters who don’t normally show up. And win or lose, the time and money you invest in younger candidates pay dividends. They stick around and continue organizing in their communities, and the impact they have extends far beyond their individual races.

Goal ThermometerFinally, I’m running for State Assembly because this is personal to me. In the fall of 2019, my district had three cases of youth suicide-- including one at my former high school. The student was the younger brother of a good friend of mine, and that same day my opponent missed six bipartisan votes on suicide prevention. This is a failure of leadership, and on behalf of families and young people everywhere, I’m holding him accountable.

Instead of rejecting people under 30, we should embrace them. When a standard, middle-aged, moderate businessman ran against my opponent seven years ago, he didn’t win a single ward. My campaign is savvy, passionate, and serious. We have more policy ideas than any other State Assembly candidate, and we have the energy to actually flip this seat. I’m taking this seriously because my home deserves a voice, and I think that voice ought to come from someone who actually gives a damn-- regardless of the year they were born.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home