Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Bernie's In

>



Tomorrow's my birthday-- but the present I wanted most came a day early. First on Vermont Public Radio and then on CBS This Morning, Bernie announced he's running for president. Responding to a question from John Dickerson, Bernie said "I am going to run for president, that's correct. Dickerson asked him what's going to be different this time and Bernie said, "We're going to win. We are also going to launch what I think is unprecedented in modern American history and that is a grassroots movement to lay the groundwork for transforming the economic and political life of this country.
"It is absolutely imperative that Donald Trump be defeated, because I think it is unacceptable and un-American, to be frank with you, that we have a president who is a pathological liar. We have a president who is a racist, who is a sexist, who is a xenophobe, who is doing what no president in our lifetimes has come close to do doing, and that is trying to divide us up.

When Dickerson asked Bernie about the crackpot Starbucks guy who has said he'd drop out if Democrats pick a conservative, corporate whotre like himself, rather than a progressive, Bernie dismissed Schultz as a billionaire who's essentially "blackmailing the Democratic Party."
"If you don't nominate Bernie Sanders he's not gonna run?" Sanders said of Schultz. "Well, I don't think we should succumb to that kind of blackmail."

Goal Thermometer>Dickerson pointed out that Schultz represents the argument that Democrats, in order to win voters in more conservative parts of the country, have to pick a candidate who isn't as radical.

"I think his deeper theory is, 'Hey, I'm a billionaire. Leave me alone. And let me make as much as money as I can without paying my fair share of taxes,'" Sanders countered, without acknowledging the point.
Earlier, Bernie told Vermont Public Radio host Bob Kinzel that "We have got to look at candidates, you know, not by the color of their skin, not by their sexual orientation or their gender and not by their age. I mean, I think we have got to try to move us toward a non-discriminatory society which looks at people based on their abilities, based on what they stand for."



And for those wondering... Bernie's 2020 platform:
Medicare For All
Green New Deal
$15 Minimum Wage
Criminal justice reform
Free public college
Break up Too Big To Fail banks
Gender pay equality
Paid leave
Bring down Drug prices
Expand Social Security
Save Unions
Dream Act
The centrists and "moderates" who try to shoot this down are the same kind of politicians who thought it was too radical to pass Medicare, too radical to pass Social Security, too radical to legislate a minimum wage, too radical to allow women the vote, too radical to emancipate the slaves, too radical to mandate free public education, too radical to declare independence from Britain. There will always be politicians like Status Quo Joe Biden and Billionaire Bloomberg and Amy Klobuchar. We're always better off ignoring them.



Labels:

7 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was excited the first time Bernie ran. But the way that campaign turned out -in support of the Coronation- left me feeling betrayed.

So Bernie's announced again. Fine. If he wins the nomination I will vote for him. But I have no money to give him this time. Trump's tax distortion didn't hurt me as badly as it has many, but there is no discretionary income anymore. If I start now, maybe I can scrape together $27 by the time the primary has determined who the candidate is to be.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Yoshi said...

Please update or take down your ActBlue page at https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bernie2020

Based on your writings, I believe you are a supporter of Bernie and his policies - but I am afraid that your page is tricking people into donating to the wrong place. Especially early in the campaign, it's important for candidates to be able to show big numbers.

Please don't be that guy. Let people know that the official donation page is located at https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bern-site

Thanks.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Hone said...

Anonymous. Please stop with criticizing Bernie for supporting Hillary! I am sick of hearing this. It was a good thing to do. He is a realist and his candidacy is not all about his ego. He wants the best for this country and Trump certainly was the wrong choice.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was expressing my opinions, Hone. Is this site to become politically correct as Daily Kos? If not, I am free to disagree about Bernie. You do as you see fit. I won't attack you for your opinions.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hone you are dead wrong. It's part of his record. It's something he actually DID rather than something he only talks about. And the list of positions that Bernie APPARENTLY takes should illustrate just how big a betrayal it was for him to:
1) take the DNC ratfucking without any reaction
2) endorse and support the candidate who was the head of the DNC
3) endorse and support the candidate that was ANTI- 10 of the 12 positions Bernie is taking.

I cannot ever trust that man again. Therefore I cannot vote for him. I'll vote Green again every time.

If you can rationalize that degree of betrayal (total, complete, utter..) and still vote for him, that's your privilege.
But, like 127 million others in 2016, you're still dead wrong.

Electing Bernie as a democrap won't change a single thing. But the president will be doing a lot of apologizing for his party's failures... again and still... like 2009-2016.

Bernie won't put any bankers, nobody named trump or Kushner in prison either.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous wjbill said...

your list should also include the ban on assault weapons

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

then it would be ANTI- 11 out of 13.

banning assault weapons would turn those 20-dead incidents into 5-dead. In my mind, not much of an improvement.

turning 20-dead into ZERO should be the goal. But I'm into purity I suppose.

If you can live with 5-dead every week or two... good for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home