Sunday, July 22, 2018

Most Brits Want A Brexit Do-Over So The U.K. Could Stay


The headlines about the new YouGov poll for The Times is bizarre. 38% of respondents prefer a further right government-- so Boris Johnson rather than Theresa May. OK, so 62% don't? And 24% of respondents are out-right racists. Ummm... so 76% aren't? Yet the headlines are all about the right-wing loons. Why not about how a new referendum on Brexit would come up with 54% remaining and 46% wanting to leave. Odd.
Former Tory Prime Minister Sir John Major has said a second Brexit referendum is “morally justified”-- as a new poll revealed support for staying in the EU over crashing out without a deal.

Sir John said PM Theresa May was “boxed in” by hardline Brexiteers and warned stalemate in the Commons could leave Britain facing a no-deal scenario.

His comments came as polling showed support for staying in the EU over leaving with no deal if a new referendum was held.

Remaining in the EU would beat leaving with no deal by 54 per cent to 46, according to a YouGov poll for the Sunday Times.

Just 11 per cent of voters would back leaving the EU on the terms put forward by Mrs May in her Chequers deal, with 38 per cent backing a no-deal Brexit and 50 per cent saying they would vote to remain in the EU, the poll showed.

Former Conservative PM Sir John admitted a second referendum has “democratic downsides”, adding: “It has difficulties. But is it morally justified? I think it is.

"If you look back at the Leave campaign a great many of the promises they made were fantasy promises. We now know they are not going to be met.

"A referendum isn't an easy option, but it's not one at this stage that I would rule out."

Referring to the "irreconcilable" stance taken by hardline Tory Brexiteers, Sir John said: "That has boxed the Government and particularly the Prime Minister into a corner.

"They are a minority of the House of Commons, a substantial minority of the House of Commons, but they are larger than the Government's majority.

"The danger at the moment is that they will frustrate every move the Government seek to make and by accident, because nothing can be agreed, we will crash out without a deal."
It's like the Freedom Caucus and the Republican Study group holding the U.S. House hostage to the crazy far right ideas while being a minority of Congress but with the power to control the GOP. This all seems like very bad news for Theresa May but perhaps good news for Jeremy Corbyn, as the Conservative government splinters and falls apart.

Labels: , ,


At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corporatists aren't going to allow that now. You had one chance to be smart, Brits, and you blew it.

At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point. As corporations and billionaires buy more and more governments, you're going to see this kind of corrupted dysfunction.

Voters, being lazy and stupid, will be gullible to corporate media hypnoses and can be made to vote as the corporations wish in well-timed plebiscites... or the corporate voting mechanism can and has been gooned to arrive at the desired result. This gives the stupid electorates the impression that what the corporations want is what they also want.

The worst is in this shithole, of course. Because of the disenfranchisement of over a third of voters, ALL government results are by a minority. And because the money owns and operates both parties, they get what they want no matter which party surfs which kind of wave into transitory "power". And our voters, those who still participate anyway, are the dumbest on earth. The right third is pure evil. The left third still thinks the democraps will help.

Why, one wonders, are the two dumbest electorates both anglo? Are whites just dumber and more gullible than everyone else?


Post a Comment

<< Home