Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Interested In a Bunch Of Missing Clash Footage?

>




Did you miss the BBC documentary about The Clash on New Year's Day? That's it above-- and worth an hour and fifteen minutes of your time. I remember how excited The Clash were that Julien Temple was filming them-- and I always wondered what happened to that footage. That's it-- almost 4 decades later. There are interviews and some decidedly mixed quality context bits, of course, and a somewhat interesting history of Covent Garden, but the greatest value here is the New Years Day 1977 concert The Clash did at The Roxy-- despite a seriously fucked-up sound system. These are the early versions of what became the band's very iconic debut album, the album that earned them the nickname, "The Only Band That Matters."

I used to hang out with the band in the rehearsal studio near the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm. Paul Simonon took down one of the posters from the wall and gave it to me. It was my most prized possession for many years. I wonder what happened to it.


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Bil said...

FUN! Thanks Howie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home